Statistics Rollup Stored Procedures—Optional Parameters and Diagnostics (3034858)
The database stored procedures for statistics-gathering were significantly improved in VirtualCenter Server 2.0.1 Patch 2 (and subsequent versions). In addition to faster performance, the new, improved statistics-rollup procedures provide several new optional parameters (see Table) . Using the parameters, you can modify VirtualCenter’s configuration file (vpxd.cfg) to change the frequency and type of rollup, and to put the rollup process in a sleep mode, for example, to reduce resource utilization.
VirtualCenter Server Configuration File (vpxd.cfg)
Stats-Rollup Optional Parameters
|rollupLevel||Frequency of execution for statistics-rollup stored procedure. By default, procedure executes each hour.||1 [Hourly; default]|
2 [Every 30 minutes]
3 [Every 20 minutes]
4 [Every 15 minutes]
|rollupType||Identifies the statistics-rollup stored procedure that the system should use. By default, the new incremental stats-rollup procedure processes statistics by entity, on an hourly basis.
Set rollupType to all to use the same type of rollup procedure used in previous releases (which processes all statistics at the same time.)
Set rollupType to none to effectively disable the stats-rollup process.
none [Disables statistics-rollup procedure and sleepOnStatID, backlogIncluded, sleepOnEntity, and rollupLevel parameters.]
|sleepOnEntity||Number of milliseconds between processing statistics for each entity. The database server can release resources during this time period.||Any valid integer|
2000 milliseconds [default]
|sleepOnStatId||Number of milliseconds between processing each stat ID. The database server can release resources during this time period.||Any valid integer|
20 milliseconds [default]
|backlogIncluded||Includes backlog data in the rollup. Backlog data exists only when a rollup attempt has failed. The default value for backlogIncluded depends on rollupType setting. For incremental rollupType, default value is 1. For all rollupType, default value is 0.||0 Not included in rollup|
1 Backlog data included (if it exists)
To change any of the new parameters from their defaults, add the appropriate tags to the configuration file and then restart the server, as detailed in the next section.
To modify any of the stats rollup values:
- Navigate to the location of the vpxd.cfg file. By default, the vpxd.cfg file is located in this directory:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter
- Use a text editor (such as Notepad or WordPad) to open the vpxd.cfg file. The vpxd.cfg file is an XML-formatted text file that contains various optional settings for the VirtualCenter server.
- Add a <stats> opening tag (as a child of the <vpxd> element) to the file.
- Add the opening tag for the rollup stats parameter that you want to change from the default.
- Enter the value for the parameter.
- Add the closing tag. The complete series of nested tags is:
. . .
. . .
- Save the file and exit the text editor.
- From the Windows Start menu, select Administrative Tools from the Programs menu.
- Select Services from the Adminstrative Tools menu.
- Scroll through the Services menu until you find the VMware VirtualCenter Server service control panel, select it, and then click Restart.
- Find the VMware Virtual Infrastructure Web Access service control panel, select it, and click Restart.