Veeam backup and replication with vSAN datastores (2149874)
Disclaimer: The partner solution referenced in this article is a solution developed and supported by a partner. Use of this product is also governed by the end user license agreement of the partner. You must obtain the application, support, and licensing for using this product from the partner. For more information, see https://www.veeam.com/support.html.
- To backup virtual machines or virtual disk data residing on a VMware vSAN datastore.
- To resume operation of a production virtual machine and failback on a virtul machine replica residing on a VMware vSAN datastore.
- Coordinates backup, replication, recovery verification and restore tasks
- Controls job scheduling and resource allocation
- Set up and manage backup infrastructure components as well as specify global settings for the backup infrastructure
- VMware vCenter Server
- VMware vCloud Director
- Microsoft Windows Server
- Linux Server
You can add physical machines and VMs to the backup infrastructure and assign different roles to them. For more information on which roles may be assigned to the different types of servers, see https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/setup_add_server.html?ver=95.
Basic backup proxy tasks include the following:
- Retrieving virtual machine data from the production storage
- Sending it to the backup repository (for example, if you run a backup job) or another backup proxy (for example, if you run a replication job).
For more information regarding deploying the proxy, selecting transport modes, and services used by the backup proxy, see https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/backup_proxy.html?ver=95.
- List solution components: Veeam Backup & Replication 7, patch 4 or greater.
- Provide detailed information about the solution: When a customer purchases Veeam Backup & Replication and selects Virtual Appliance mode for backing up a virtual machine, smart logic is used for processing VMware vSAN datastores. Veeam Backup & Replication obtains information about data distribution inside the vSAN datastore from VMware vCenter. This helps determine where the most VM data resides and allows for the most efficient use of proxies and resources when backing up the desired virtual machine.
- Include the version of the VMware product: VMware vSphere 5.5 or greater (Veeam supports vSphere 4.1 and greater but vSAN is not available until vSphere 5.5).
- Link to official product interoperability matrix or VMware Compatibility Guide (vCG) with VMware products: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?productid=41481&deviceCategory=vsanps&details=1&solutionTypes=1&partner=594&page=1&display_interval=10&sortColumn=Partner&sortOrder=Asc.
- Provide steps to download and install the product on VMware products: For more information on obtaining a license, see https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/license_obtain.html?ver=95.
- Compile Logs: www.veeam.com/kb1832
- VSS Guest Logs (Application-Aware Processing): www.veeam.com/kb1789
- Windows Event Viewer Logs: www.veeam.com/kb1873
- Indicate whether the solution supports vMotion, HA, and FT: Veeam Backup & Replication supports vMotion, High Availability (HA) and Fault Tolerance (FT)
- Link to product documentation, and specific reference points in those documents (Page Numbers of content referenced): https://www.veeam.com/documentation-guides-datasheets.html
- Link to downloads site: https://www.veeam.com/backup-replication-vcp-download.html
- Link to steps to collect partner SVM logs: https://www.veeam.com/kb1832
- Support Process: https://www.veeam.com/veeam_software_support_policy_ds.pdf
- Production Support program provides 24/7 software support services and fast response times for critical issues.
- To receive Production Support, all production licensed sockets for a product must be licensed at Production Support levels, otherwise support defaults to Basic Support levels.
- Escalation Process: If at any point during the resolution process, you become dissatisfied with the handling of your issue, simply contact the case owner and request an escalation to the manager.
- Contact information: https://my.veeam.com/#/support/phone-support
- Best practices: https://www.veeam.com/kb2273
- For more information on Veeam Backup & Replication, see www.veeam.com
Disclaimer: VMware is not responsible for the reliability of any data, opinions, advice, or statements made on third-party websites. Inclusion of such links does not imply that VMware endorses, recommends, or accepts any responsibility for the content of such sites.