ESXi hosts are no longer manageable after an upgrade (2140304)
- After upgrading an ESXi host to version 5.5 Update 3b or later, the ESXi host in vCenter Server appears as Disconnected or Not responding
- When attempting to add or reconnect an ESXi host to vCenter Server, you see one of these errors:
- Cannot contact the specific host. The host may not be available on the network, a network configuration problem may exist, or the management services on this host may not be responding.
- Call "Datacenter.QueryConnectionInfo" for object "" on vCenter Server "" failed
- The host returns esxupdate error code:15. The package manager transaction is not successful. Check the Update Manager log files and esxupdate log files for more details.
Note: For additional symptom and log entries, see the Additional Information section.
When ESXi hosts are not manageable after an upgrade to version 5.5 Update 3b, verify if you have upgraded vCenter Server before upgrading the ESXi host.
To work around this issue if you do not want to upgrade, downgrade the ESXi host to a previous version.
You experience the additional symptoms:
- If you revert the ESXi host to previous version, you are able to connect to and manage the host from vCenter Server.
- Connecting to the host directly through the vSphere Client is successful.