Support for Leap Seconds in VMware Products (2115818)
A leap second is a one-second adjustment that is occasionally applied to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) in order to correspond to the mean solar time. An adjustment of +1 second took place on 23:59 UTC on the 30th June 2015.
The change was carried out globally and simultaneously at the UTC scheduled time, adjust accordingly for your timezone. For example, the leap second change took place at 19:59 in Eastern Standard Time.
Only systems configured as Network Time Protocol (NTP) clients were potentially affected, as they received a NTP packet with a leap second flag on the day of the adjustment.
Note: As the leap second change has now taken place there is no requirement to take any action. Subsequently, the KB articles published for individual products have now been archived.
For customers with valid current Support and Subscription services contracts for a product, VMware will, subject to the terms and conditions for its Support and Subscription services, provide telephone or web-based technical assistance to customer’s technical contact(s) with respect to technical product problems for those products, at the corresponding services level purchased by customer.
VMware recommends customers test their complete solutions.
- The underlying kernel can become hung and require a reboot due to a deadlock as queued process have the same time-stamp.
- The Java environment(s) may not handle the leap second processing correctly resulting in 100% CPU usage. This can potentially cause the service to hang or crash.
- When slew mode is not enabled, services may not handle a 60 second time-stamp, that is 23:59:60.
To be alerted when this article is updated, click Subscribe to Document.
- How the Windows Time service treats a leap second
- Fixes and workaround to avoid issues caused by Leap Second 2015
- International Earth Rotation and Reference System Service
Note: The preceding links were correct as of June 18, 2015. If you find a link is broken, provide feedback and a VMware employee will update the link.