Search the VMware Knowledge Base (KB)
View by Article ID
Troubleshooting Agent Unreachable status in VMware Horizon View (2083535)
- Your virtual machine is unresponsive.
- The operating system freezes or fails.
- The virtual machine shuts down or boots up, the agent service is not running.
- Incorrect network configuration or connection issues between View Connection Server and the View Agent.
Troubleshoot an Agent Unreachable statusTo troubleshoot the cause of an Agent Unreachable status:
- If multiple Connection Servers are present, ensure that ADAM replication is occurring. For more information, see Confirm ADAM replication in the next paragraph.
- Ensure that the virtual machine is powered on and the operating system is responsive.
- Ensure that there is a valid IP address and network connectivity between the virtual machine and connection server. If the IP address starts with 169.254.x.x, this means an Automatic Private IP Address has been assigned. For more information, see the Microsoft TechNet article Troubleshooting DHCP Clients.
Note: The preceding link was correct as of November 7, 2014. If you find the link is broken, provide feedback and a VMware employee will update the link.
- Confirm the virtual network adapter is correct in vCenter Server. For more information, see the Virtual machine Custom Configuration Parameters section in the VMware Horizon View Administration Guide.
Note: When a virtual machine installed with view agent has more than one NIC, you must configure the subnet that view agent uses by modifying registry settings as:
HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\Node Manager\subnet = n.n.n.n/m (REG_SZ)
- To confirm the network label configured is correct and Connect at Power On is configured edit the virtual machine settings in vCenter Server. If there are multiple NICs configured, ensure that the correct NIC is selected.
- Migrate the View virtual machine to another host and check for connectivity.
- Provision an additional virtual machine to verify if the issue persists.
- Ensure the firewall configuration. For more information, see:
Confirm Adam replicationTo confirm ADAM replication:
- Log in to the View Administrator console on each Connection Server.
- Verify the status is consistent on all Connection Servers.
- To display the replication neighbors and the last time they replicated, run this command on all Connection Brokers in the same ADAM instance:
C:\WINDOWS\adam\repadmin.exe /showrepl localhost:389 DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int
Note: In Windows 2008 R2, run this command in C:\WINDOWS\system32.
To force the replication, run this command on all Connection Brokers in the same ADAM instance:
C:\WINDOWS\adam\repadmin.exe /replicate localhost.domain.com:389 remote-host.domain.com:389 dc=vdi,dc=vmware,dc=int
Note: Local and remote hostnames should be replaced with the FQDN of the actual machines where an attempt to force replication is made.
For additional information, see:
- Troubleshooting Network Connection Problems section in the VMware Horizon View Administration
- VMware View Agent fails to start on physical desktops with the status: Agent Unreachable (2001870)
- Linked clones experience customization issues when deployed on an ESXi 5.1 (2080397)
- After reinstalling or upgrading the View 5.1.x agent, the View Administrator console reports the message: Agent Unreachable (2038679)
- After upgrading to VMware View 5.2, the View Administrator console reports the message: Agent Unreachable (2064318)
For translated versions of this article, see:
日本語: VMware Horizon View でのエージェントにアクセスできないステータスをトラブルシューティングする (2090869)
简体中文: 对 VMware Horizon View 中的“无法访问代理”状态进行故障排除 (2090959)
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.