VMware ESXi 5.5, Patch ESXi550-201409202-UG: Updates ESXi 5.5 tools-light vib (2079727)
Release date: September 9, 2014
|Build||For build information, see KB 2079725.|
|Host Reboot Required||No|
|Virtual Machine Migration or Shutdown Required||No|
|PRs Fixed||1089690, 1147656, 1204553, 1214493, 1216736, 1221217, 1252476, 1275409, 1095969, 1141296, 1159505, 1174550|
|Related CVE numbers||N/A|
For more information on patch and update classification, see KB 2014447.
Summaries and Symptoms
This patch updates the tools-light VIB to resolve the following issues:
- PR 1089690: VMware vShield Endpoint Thin Agent is renamed as VMware Tools Guest Introspection plug-in. The vShield Endpoint driver bundled with VMware Tools is now called Guest Introspection.
- PR 1147656: Snapshot quiescing and hot cloning of a Linux virtual machine might fail and error messages similar to the following might be written to vmware.log file:
2013-12-12T00:09:59.446Z| vcpu-1| I120: [msg.snapshot.quiesce.vmerr] The guest OS has reported an error during quiescing.
2013-12-12T00:09:59.446Z| vcpu-1| I120+ The error code was: 3
2013-12-12T00:09:59.446Z| vcpu-1| I120+ The error message was: Error when enabling the sync provider.
2013-12-12T00:09:59.446Z| vcpu-1| I120: ----------------------------------------
2013-12-12T00:09:59.449Z| vcpu-1| I120: ToolsBackup: changing quiesce state: STARTED -> ERROR_WAIT
2013-12-12T00:10:00.450Z| vcpu-1| I120: ToolsBackup: changing quiesce state: ERROR_WAIT -> IDLE
2013-12-12T00:10:00.450Z| vcpu-1| I120: ToolsBackup: changing quiesce state: IDLE -> DONE
2013-12-12T00:10:00.450Z| vcpu-1| I120: SnapshotVMXTakeSnapshotComplete: Done with snapshot 'clone-temp-1386910714682919': 0
2013-12-12T00:10:00.450Z| vcpu-1| I120: SnapshotVMXTakeSnapshotComplete: Snapshot 0 failed: Failed to quiesce the virtual machine (40).
- PR 1204553: Virtual machines running MOVE Agentless 3.0 on ESXi host might appear to become unresponsive with a black screen during login for 40 seconds or more.
- PR 1214493: The memory balloon driver(VMMEMCTL)might fail to compile in FreeBSD versions 10.0 and above. An error message similar to the following is written to xxx.log:
--- vmmemctl ---
os.c:300:22: error: implicit declaration of function 'kmem_alloc_nofault' is invalid in C99[-Werror,-Wimplicit-function-declaration] vm_offset_t res = kmem_alloc_nofault(kernel_map, PAGE_SIZE)^
os.c:357:14: error: incompatible pointer types passing 'vm_map_t' (aka 'struct vm_map ') to parameter of type 'struct vmem ' [-Werror,-Wincompatible-pointer- types] kmem_free(kernel_map, (vm_offset_t)mapping, PAGE_SIZE); ^
@/vm/vm_extern.h:59:29: note: passing argument to parameter here void kmem_free(struct vmem *, vm_offset_t, vm_size_t);^
- PR 1216736: After installing VMware Tools 5.1 on a Windows virtual machine, the Windows Application Event log of the guest operating system reports warnings similar to the following:
[ warning] [vmusr:vmusr] vmware::tools::UnityPBRPCServer::Start: Failed to register with the host!
[ warning] [vmusr:vmtoolsd] Failed registration of app type 2 (Signals) from plugin unity.
[ warning] [vmusr:vmusr] Error in the RPC receive loop: RpcIn: Unable to send.
[ warning] [vmusr:vmusr] socket count not create new socket, error 10047: An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used
[ warning] [vmusr:vmusr] Channel restart failed 
- PR 1221217: The Managed Object Browser (MOB) for GuestInfo.ipAddress data object might not be populated correctly and the value of GuestInfo.ipAddress data object might be displayed as unset when more than four NICs are connected. This issue occurs when VMware Tools fails to determine a valid GOS IP address.
- PR 1252476: When you attempt to install RHEL virtual machines using the kick start file, the operating system specific packages (OSPs) might display error message similar to the following:
Could not load modules.dep
- PR 1275409: Attempts to perform vMotion might cause the virtual machines to fail with a blue screen and error messages similar to the following might be written to vmware.log file after you upgrade VMware Tools:
...2014-05-12T00:07:02.052Z| mks| I120: WinBSOD: ( 1) `A problem has be
2014-05-12T00:07:02.066Z| mks| I120: WinBSOD: ( 1) `A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage'
2014-05-12T00:07:02.083Z| mks| I120: WinBSOD: ( 2) `to your computer.'
2014-05-12T00:07:02.084Z| mks| I120: WinBSOD: ( 4) `The HTTP ke'
2014-05-12T00:07:02.100Z| mks| I120: WinBSOD: ( 4) `The HTTP kernel driver (http.sys) reached a corrupted state and can not recover.'
2014-05-12T00:07:02.100Z| mks| I120: WinBSOD: ( 5) ` This means'
2014-05-12T00:07:02.117Z| mks| I120: WinBSOD: ( 6) `that the HTTP module detected that its private data is corrupted. This usually'
2014-05-12T00:07:02.117Z| mks| I120: WinBSOD: ( 7) `results in'
2014-05-12T00:07:02.134Z| mks| I120: WinBSOD: ( 8) `eventual corruption of the thread pool and an access violation.'
2014-05-12T00:07:02.150Z| mks| I120: WinBSOD: (10) `If this is the first time you've seen this Stop err'
2014-05-12T00:07:02.168Z| mks| I120: WinBSOD: (10) `If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen,'
2014-05-12T00:07:02.168Z| mks| I120: WinBSOD: (11) `restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow'
2014-05-12T00:07:02.184Z| mks| I120: WinBSOD: (12) `these steps:
This issue occurs due to incorrect TCP connection handling in the vShield Endpoint TDI Manager driver, vnetflt.sys.
- PR 1095969: Upgrading to VMware Tools 5.x causes log spew with the message: Error in the RPC receive loop: RpcIn: Unable to send
This issue occurs when two or more users are logged into Windows Terminal Server or Linux. To fully resolve the issue, you also need to update the esx-base VIB by applying the ESXi550-201409201-UG bulletin and update the tools-light VIB by applying the ESXi550-201409202-UG bulletin.
- PR 1141296: deployPkg.dll file which is present in C:\Program Files\Vmware\Vmware Tools\ is not found after you upgrade VMware Tools. This is observed when it is upgraded from version 5.1 U2 to 5.5 U2 and version 5.5 to 5.5 U2.
- PR 1159505: After you install VMware Tools, the Windows Event Viewer displays a warning similar to the following:
Unable to read a line from 'C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\messages\es\hgfsUsability.vmsg': Invalid byte sequence in conversion input.
This issue is particularly noticed when you install VMware Tools on Spanish locale operating system.
- PR 1174550: You might be unable to automatically upgrade VMware Tools on 64-bit Linux guest operating systems.
Error message similar to the following might be written to /var/log/vmware-tools-upgrader.log file: Executing "/tmp/vmware-root/vmware-tools-upgrader-32 " /tmp/vmware-root/run_upgrader.sh: line 64: /tmp/vmware-root/vmware-tools-upgrader-32: No such file or directory
This issue occurs when the ESXi Shell is a symbolic link by default.
None beyond the required patch bundles and reboot information listed in the table above.
Patch Download and Installation
The typical way to apply patch bulletin to ESXi hosts is through the VMware Update Manager. For details, see the Installing and Administering VMware vSphere Update Manager.
ESXi hosts can be updated by manually downloading the patch ZIP file from the VMware download page and installing the VIB by using the esxcli software vib command. Additionally, the system can be updated using the image profile and the esxcli software profile command. For details, see the vSphere Command-Line Interface Concepts and Examples and the vSphere Upgrade Guide.