VMware ESXi 5.1, Patch ESXi510-201401202-UG: Updates ESXi 5.1 tools-light vib (2062302)
Release date: January 16, 2014
|Patch Category||Bug Fix|
|Build||For build information, see KB 2062314.|
|Host Reboot Required||No|
|Virtual Machine Migration or Shutdown Required||No|
|PRs Fixed||933262, 967161, 970502, 971639, 983094, 1003943, 1010474, 1010541, 1012883, 1021665, 1025918, 1029681, 1030731, 1031326, 1035346, 1037100, 1044012, 1046459, 1049865, 1049939, 1050068, 1062025, 1069891, 1073727, 1082495, 1095171, 1110418|
|Related CVE numbers||N/A|
For more information on patch and update classification, see KB 2014447.
Summaries and Symptoms
This patch updates the tools-light VIB to resolve the following issues:
- PR 933262: On an ESXi 5.1 host when you upgrade VMware tools to version 9.0, the virtual machines with Windows operating system might display a warning message similar to the following:
Failed registration of app type 2 (Signals) from plugin unity
- PR 967161: If you install VMware tools on Windows guest operating systems (XP and later) and start the Windows Performance Monitor when system is idle, you might notice that the two vmtoolsd.exe processes have memory leak.
- PR 970502: On any Linux guest operating system, when you install VMware tools and upgrade them to the latest version, the VMware tools installation fails to print recommendations for reloading the vmxnet/vmxnet3 and pvscsi driver modules or reboot the virtual machine at the end of the installation.
- PR 971639: When you attempt a VMware tools update on an older ESXi 5.1.x Server, the vCenter protect agent displays a Unregistering VSS driver warning message indicating the use of an unsigned executable. Including the executable to the list of files copied to the install folder resolves this issue.
- PR 983094: VMXNET 3 adapter might fail to load in Windows Server 2012 with 64-way virtual CPU (VCPU) after reboot.
- PR 1003943: VMware Tools is updated to provide pre-built modules for SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 SP3, Oracle Linux 5.x with 2.6.39-200/300/400 kernels and Oracle Linux 6.x with 2.6.39-200/300/400 kernels
- PR 1010474: When you create VMXNET3 adapters on the guest operating system, the Linux command, ip link or ip addr might display the link state as Unknown instead of Up.
- PR 1010541: When a user runs the VMware Tools installer on vSphere in an operating system that includes open-vm-tools (open virtual machine tools), the installer uninstalls open-vm-tools and installs tools.
- PR 1012883: After you install VMware tools, if you attempt to do a RDP to a Windows virtual machine, some of the plugins might display a warning message in the Windows even log. The warning message indicates the failure to send remote procedure calls to the host.
- PR 1021665: If you attempt to install VMware Tools when vmci and vsock are upstreamed, the installer will not install
vmhgfsmodule when you enable this module installation already, this issue is observed on Linux operating system with kernel version 3.9 or later.
- PR 1025918: If you install VMware Tools with the
--clobber-kernel-modules=vmci,vsockoption, the VMware Tools service fails to start and an error message similar to the following is displayed:
Creating a new initrd boot image for the kernel.
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.9.0-rc2-custom
initctl: Job failed to start
Unable to start services for VMware Tools
You can no longer install vmci and vsock drivers after they are upstreamed with Linux kernel versions later than 3.9.
- PR 1029681: When you install VMware tools on Solaris 10 virtual machine and create a VMXNET3 device on the guest operating system, log messages similar to the following are displayed on the virtual machine console:
Apr 3 22:44:54 daxa020z last message repeated 274 times Apr 3 22:45:00 daxa020z vmxnet3s: [ID 450982 kern.notice] vmxnet3s:0: overfragmented mp (16)
Apr 3 22:51:35 daxa020z last message repeated 399 times
Apr 3 22:51:40 daxa020z vmxnet3s: [ID 450982 kern.notice] vmxnet3s:0: overfragmented mp (16)
Apr 3 22:58:12 daxa020z last message repeated 398 times
Apr 3 22:58:20 daxa020z vmxnet3s: [ID 450982 kern.notice] vmxnet3s:0: overfragmented mp (16)
Apr 3 23:04:53 daxa020z last message repeated 393 times
Apr 3 23:05:00 daxa020z vmxnet3s: [ID 450982 kern.notice] vmxnet3s:0: overfragmented mp (16)
- PR 1030731: When you use the ETHTOOL_GPERMADDR ioctl to obtain the permanent MAC address for a VMXNET3 NIC, if the Linux kernel version is between 2.6.13 and 2.6.23, no results are obtained. If the Linux kernel version is above 2.6.23, the MAC address returned contains all zeros.
- PR 1031326: If you install VMware Tools from ESXi 5.1 to a virtual machine with Solaris 10 as the guest operating system, then the virtual machine might become unresponsive and display a message similar to the following:
Wait for the CDE desktop to start
- PR 1035346: Sometimes vmtoolsd fails when you invoke it with the command line option
--cmd. This issue is observed on vmtoolsd versions 9.0.1 and 9.0.5.
- PR 1037100: If you run
/etc/vmware-tools/service.sh restartcommand to check services when vmci and vsock are upstreamed and VMware Tools are installed, the status of Virtual Machine Communication Interface might display as failed. This issue is observed on Linux operating system with kernel version 3.9 or later.
- PR 1044012: When you attempt to set up a filter rule that contains the drive letter for a volume with an unsupported file system, Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP virtual machine might fail with a blue screen and display error messages similar to the following:
Error code 1000007e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 baee5d3b, parameter3 baa69a64, parameter4 baa69760.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 37 10000070020: 65 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d e Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 63 30 eters c
00030: 30 30 30 30 30 35 2c 20 000005,
0038: 62 61 65 65 35 64 33 62 baee5d3b
0040: 2c 20 62 61 61 36 39 61 , baa69a
0048: 36 34 2c 20 62 61 61 36 64, baa6
0050: 39 37 36 30 9760
This issue mostly occurs when the
Q:\drive letter created by Microsoft App-V solution is added in the filter rule.
- PR 1046459: When you install or upgrade VMware tools, the
/usr/bin/vmware-user-wrappersymbolic links might be broken. This issue is observed on Linux guest operating system.
- PR 1049865: VMware Tools is updated to provide pre-built modules for SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 SP3, Oracle Linux 5.x with 2.6.39-200/300/400 kernels and Oracle Linux 6.x with 2.6.39-200/300/400 kernels
- PR 1049939: If you configure the guest operating system SLES 11 with vlan interfaces of the form eth0.100, eth0.200 and then install the VMware tools. The guest info plugin fails to parse the
/proc/net/route and /proc/net/ipv6and logs multiple meesages to the system log.
- PR 1050068: When you install VMware Tools using OSPs you can see an increase in the number of log files present in the
/tmp/vmware-rootdirectory. This issue is observed on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 Service Pack 2 and RedHat Enterprise Linux 6.
- PR 1062025: Include the vnetflt.sys kernel driver and associated files to the vShield MSM for tools. The inclusion helps in modifying several VM Installer APIs by adding additional default arguments, these arguments might be used to create tags to use in ordering service launch within a group.
- PR 1069891: The vSocket driver might get into a deadlock in a Windows virtual machine running on an ESXi host with vShield Endpoint. A blue diagnostic screen with the following log is displayed:
2013-06-27T20:44:05.812Z| vcpu-0| TOOLS installed legacy version 8384, available legacy version 8389
2013-06-27T20:44:05.813Z| vcpu-0| Guest: toolbox: Version: build-515842
2013-06-28T20:38:16.923Z| vcpu-1| Ethernet1 MAC Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
2013-06-28T20:38:16.923Z| vcpu-0| Ethernet0 MAC Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xy
2013-06-28T20:38:16.927Z| vcpu-1| Ethernet2 MAC Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xz
2013-06-28T20:39:16.930Z| vcpu-0| Guest: vfile: vf-AUDIT: VFileAuditSvmConnectivity : Lost connectivity to SVM, irpStatus: 0xc0000001 ## disconnect SecureVM
2013-06-28T20:41:06.185Z| vmx| GuestRpcSendTimedOut: message to toolbox timed out.
2013-06-28T20:41:06.186Z| vmx| Vix: [4304191 guestCommands.c:2194]: Error VIX_E_TOOLS_NOT_RUNNING in VMAutomationTranslateGuestRpcError(): VMware Tools are not running in the guest
2013-06-28T20:48:28.341Z| mks| MKS disabling SVGA
2013-06-28T20:48:34.346Z| mks| WinBSOD: (30) `Dumping physical memory to disk: 30 '
2013-06-28T20:48:43.349Z| mks| WinBSOD: (30) `Dumping physical memory to disk: 35 '
2013-06-28T20:48:52.353Z| mks| WinBSOD: (30) `Dumping physical memory to disk: 40 '
2013-06-28T20:49:01.357Z| mks| WinBSOD: (30) `Dumping physical memory to disk: 45 '
2013-06-28T20:49:09.360Z| mks| WinBSOD: (30) `Dumping physical memory to disk: 50 '
2013-06-28T20:49:19.366Z| mks| WinBSOD: (30) `Dumping physical memory to disk: 70 '
2013-06-28T20:49:28.368Z| mks| WinBSOD: (30) `Dumping physical memory to disk: 80
- PR 1073727: vShield and other components might not roll back when you cancel the installation.
- PR 1082495: When you attempt to uninstall VMware Tools on a Windows Server 2003, the virtual machine fails to uninstall VMware Tools and displays an error message.
Uninstallation is not successful
- PR 1095171: When Receive Side Scaling (RSS) is enabled on a virtual machine, the VMXNET3 network driver resets frequently causing virtual machine to lose network connectivity for a brief period of time. The VMXNET3 network driver is updated in this release.
- PR 1110418: VMware Tools might stop running in Novell NetWare 6.5 virtual machine. This might cause high CPU utilization and DRS migration.
None beyond the required patch bundles and reboot information listed in the table above.
Patch Download and Installation
The typical way to apply patch bulletin to ESXi hosts is through the VMware Update Manager. For details, see the Installing and Administering VMware vSphere Update Manager.
ESXi hosts can be updated by manually downloading the patch ZIP file from the VMware download page and installing the VIB by using the esxcli software vib command. Additionally, the system can be updated using the image profile and the esxcli software profile command. For details, see the vSphere Command-Line Interface Concepts and Examples and the vSphere Upgrade Guide.