The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
A virtual machine deployed from template or cloned fails to ping outside network with the error: Unable to contact IP driver (2016747)
A Windows 2008 or Windows 2012 virtual machine, either deployed from a template or a cloned virtual machine, experiences these symptoms:
- The virtual machine cannot reach outside the network via ping
- You see the error:
Unable to contact IP driver. General Failure
- nslookup fails with the same error
To run the sysprep tool to generate a new SID.
- Open a console to the affected Windows virtual machine.
- Open a command prompt in elevated mode. Right-click a shortcut to the Windows Command Processor and select the Run as administrator option.
- Change the path to C:\Windows\System32\sysprep.
- Run the sysprep command.
- When the sysprep wizard appears, check the generalize check box, leave all other setting at the default values.
- Reboot the virtual machine to apply the changes.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.