The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
VMware High Availability fails with the error: Misconfiguration in the host Network setup (2003774)
- Cannot enable or reconfigure VMware High Availability (HA)
- Enabling or reconfiguring HA fails
- You see the error:
Misconfiguration in the host Network setup
- In the /var/log/vmware/aam/aam_config_util_monitornodes.log file, you see entries similar to:
07/20/11 12:53:49 [issue_cli_cmd ] command is '/opt/vmware/aam/bin/ftcli -domain vmware -port 8042 -timeout 5 -cmd listnodes'
07/20/11 12:53:49 [issue_cli_cmd ] Trying to talk to self ('<<hostname>>'), yet there is no sites file.
07/20/11 12:53:49 [myexit ] Failure location:
07/20/11 12:53:49 [myexit ] function main::myexit called from line 247
07/20/11 12:53:49 [myexit ] VMwareresult=failure
- The /etc/opt/vmware/aam folder contains an invalid configBackup file of 0 bytes
/etc/opt/vmware/aam # ls -lh
-rw-r--r-T 1 root root 0 Apr 13 2010 configBackup.tar.gz Note: The preceding log excerpts are only examples. Date, time, and environmental variables may vary depending on your environment.
To resolve this issue:
- Review the network configuration in the cluster to ensure that the HA heartbeat interfaces match between hosts.
- ESX – HA will heartbeat over all Service Consoles.
- ESXi – HA will heartbeat over all VMkernels with the Management Traffic option enabled.
- Ensure that there are no extra or missing HA heartbeat interfaces on any hosts.
- Ensure that all hosts have the same network configuration on HA heartbeat networks:
- ESX – service console network
- ESXi – VMkernel network (With Management Traffic).
For more information, see:
- TCP and UDP Ports required to access VMware vCenter Server, VMware ESXi and ESX hosts, and other network components (1012382)
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.