The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Troubleshooting the Fusion virtual machine error: No bootable device found (1027417)
A previously working Windows virtual machine shows a black screen with this error:
No bootable device found.
Each step below provides instructions and a link to a document, that will assist you in performing the troubleshooting step and taking corrective action as necessary. The steps are ordered in the most appropriate sequence to isolate the issue and to identify the proper resolution. They are also ordered in the most appropriate sequence to minimize data loss. After completing each step, try powering on the virtual machine again. Work through each troubleshooting step in order, and do not skip a step.
To troubleshoot this error:
- Repair the virtual disk. For more information, see Repairing a virtual disk in Fusion (1023888).
- Check whether the virtual machine is corrupted. For more information, see Verifying Fusion virtual machine integrity (1024809).
- Confirm that there are no file system issues on your Mac's hard drive. For more information, see Performing a disk repair in Mac OS X (1020943).
- If you are running Windows, repair your Windows installation:
- For Windows XP, see Performing a Windows repair on a Windows XP virtual machine in Fusion (1013846)
- For Windows Vista, see Microsoft's article Startup Repair: frequently asked questions
- For Windows 7, see Microsoft's article Startup Repair: frequently asked questions
If the issue continues to exist after trying the steps in this article:
- Collect the VMware Support information. For more information, see Collecting diagnostic information for VMware Fusion (1003894).
- File a support request with VMware Support and quote this Knowledge Base article ID (1027417) in the problem description. For more information, see How to Submit a Support Request.
Note: The preceding links were available as of September 14, 2010 . If you find the links to be broken, provide feedback on the article and a VMware employee will update the article as necessary.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.