The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Making sure you can use the CD/DVD drive in a VMware Fusion virtual machine (1025943)
- The CD/DVD drive is not visible in a virtual machine.
- You see no optical drive in Windows Explorer.
- Your virtual machine does not recognize CDs and DVDs when they are inserted in the Mac and connected.
- You have no CD/DVD drive in your virtual machine.
Each step below provides instructions and a link to a document, for performing the step and taking corrective action as necessary. The steps are ordered in the most appropriate sequence to isolate the issue and to identify the proper resolution. They are also ordered in the most appropriate sequence to minimize data loss. After completing each step, try using your CD / DVD again. Work through each troubleshooting step in order.
To make sure you can use your CD / DVD drive in your virtual machine:
- Ensure that the CD / DVD drive is connected to your virtual machine. For more information, see CD/DVD in Working with printers, disks, and other devices in VMware Fusion (1014523).
- Check your Windows registry settings. If you have connected your Mac's CD / DVD drive to the virtual machine, but the virtual machine does not recognize the drive or show it to you, there may be an issue with the Windows registry. For more information, see Troubleshooting a missing CD/DVD-ROM drive in a Windows virtual machine (1014268).
- Ensure that your Mac's CD drive is working properly. For details, see the Apple Knowledge Base article Apple Computers: Troubleshooting the slot load optical disc drive.
Note: The preceding link was correct as of September 26, 2012. If you find the link is broken, please provide feedback and a VMware employee will update the link.
If the issue continues to exist after trying the steps in this article:
- Collect the VMware Support information. For more information, see Collecting diagnostic information for VMware Fusion (1003894).
- File a support request with VMware Support and quote this Knowledge Base article ID (1025943) in the problem description. For more information, see Filing a Support Request in My VMware (2006985).
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.