WDDM and XPDM graphics driver support with WDDM and XPDM graphics driver support with ESX, ESXi, Workstation and Fusion (1016770)
The WDDM driver, which is included with VMware Tools, only works with hardware version (HW) 7 and above. The WDDM driver does not work with older hardware versions and does not run if installed. The minimum size of VRAM for the WDDM driver is 8MB. For optimum performance, VMware recommends 32MB if possible, but it is not necessary.
These tables list support for WDDM and XPDM drivers on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Vista Guest Operating Systems (GOS) running on ESX, ESXi, Workstation and Fusion.
ESX 4.x, ESXi 5.0, ESXi 5.1
Windows GOS on ESX 4.x, ESXi 5.0, 5.1 WDDM driver
requires minimum of HW v. 7
requires minimum of HW v. 4
Windows 7 / 8 / Server 2012 Supported and installed by default Not supported Windows Server 2008 R2 * Supported but not installed by default Not supported Windows Server 2008 Supported but not installed by default Installed by default Windows Vista Supported but not installed by default Installed by default
* Unless there is an explicit requirement for enhanced graphics, the preferred driver for Windows Server 2008 R2 is the Microsoft-provided VESA driver.
|Windows GOS on Workstation 7.x and later, Fusion 3.x and later||WDDM driver |
requires minimum HW v. 7
requires minimum of HW v. 4
|Windows 7 / 8 / Server 2012||Supported and installed by default||Not supported|
|Windows Server 2008 R2||Supported and installed by default||Not supported|
|Windows Server 2008||Supported and installed by default||Supported but not installed by default|
|Windows Vista||Supported and installed by default||Supported but not installed by default|
Requirements for supporting the WDDM driver on ESX 4.x, ESXi 5.x, Workstation 7.x and above, and Fusion 3.x and above:
- At least 8 MB of video RAM (32MB is recommend for best performance).
- Hardware version 7 minimum.
Requirements for supporting the XPDM driver on ESX 4.x, ESXi 5.x, Workstation 7.x and above, and Fusion 3.x and above:
- At least 4 MB of video RAM.
- Hardware version 4, 6, or 7.
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\video_wddm\on the hard disk.
For related information, see Troubleshooting SVGA drivers installed with VMware Tools on Windows 7 and Windows 2008 running on ESX 4.x/5.x (1011709).
Additional InformationFor translated versions of this article, see:
- Español: Admisión de controlador de gráficos WDDM y XPDM con ESX 4.x, ESXi 5.x, Workstation 7 y 8, y Fusion 3 y 4 (2035424)
- Português: Suporte de driver de gráficos WDDM e XPDM com ESX 4.x, ESXi 5.x, Workstation 7 e 8 e Fusion 3 e 4 (2037233)
- 日本語: ESX 4.x、ESXi 5.x、Workstation 7 および 8、Fusion 3 および 4 での WDDM および XPDM グラフィックス ドライバのサポート (2078773)
- 简体中文: WDDM 和 XPDM 图形驱动程序支持以及
ESX、ESXi、Workstation 和 Fusion 对 WDDM 和 XPDM 图形驱动程序的支持 (2075430)