The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Installing guest operating systems from ISO images in VMware Workstation (1002)
To install the OS from an ISO image in a virtual machine:
- Save the ISO image file in any location accessible to your host. For example:
- Windows: C:\Temp or %TEMP%
- Linux: /tmp or /usr/tmp
- Create a new virtual machine. Go to File > New > Virtual Machine.
- Select Typical to accept Workstation's recommendations for various settings (such as processors, RAM, and disk controller type). Select Custom if you want to select these options yourself.
- On the Guest Operating System Installation screen, when prompted where to install from, select Installer disc image file (iso).
- Click Browse, and navigate to the location where you saved the ISO image file.
- Click Next, and proceed through the new virtual machine wizard.
- Before you click Finish, to create the virtual machine, deselect Power on this virtual machine after creation.
- Edit the virtual machine settings so that its virtual CD/DVD device is configured to use the ISO image rather than the physical CD/DVD drive:
- Select the tab for the virtual machine you just created.
- Click Edit virtual machine settings.
- On the Hardware tab, select the CD/DVD drive.
- On the right side:
- Select Connect at power on.
- Select Use ISO image file.
- Click Browse and navigate to where you saved the ISO image file.
- Click OK.
- Power on the virtual machine.
The virtual machine boots from the ISO image, which contains the installation software for your guest OS. Follow the installation procedure for your guest OS. For more information, see the Guest Operating System Installation Guide.
Note: If the guest OS asks for the second CD/DVD, repeat step 8 to point the virtual CD/DVD device to the second ISO image.
When you are finished installing the guest OS, you can edit the virtual machine settings so that it is once more set to use the host computer's physical drive. You do not need to leave the drive set to connect at power on.
Additional InformationFor translated versions of this article, see:
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.