Search the VMware Knowledge Base (KB)
View by Article ID
vSAN Health Service - Physical Disk Health - Overall Disk Health (2108691)
Q: What does the Physical Disk Health - Overall Disks Health check do?This is the main test in the physical vSAN disks category. It assesses many aspects of what vSAN believes the health of the disk is.
Q: What does it mean when the operational state is Impending permanent disk failure?Dying Disk Handling (DDH) in vSAN continuously monitors the health of disks and disk groups in order to detect an impending disk failure or a poorly performing disk group. When such conditions are detected, vSAN marks the disk or disk group as unhealthy and might trigger data evacuation from the affected disk or disk group. Such disks and disk groups display an operational state of Impending permanent disk failure. For more details please refer to KB 2148358.
Q: What does it mean when it is in an error state?This check includes an end-to-end assessment of the physical disk drives. It will check for drive surface issues, controller issues, driver issues, ESXi storage device stack issues, and issues with the vSAN disk layer. As such, the overall health of a physical disk is computed by assessing multiple sub-health status.
This health check will show an error if the Metadata health, Congestion, Software state or Disk capacity test fails.
Q: How does one troubleshoot and fix the error state?You need to examine the information displayed as part of the health check.
- Is the issue an operational one, for example is the disk offline?
- Is it an issue when trying to read the metadata of the drive? This implies that the drive is offline and unavailable for use.
- Is it a congestion issue, which could have a serious impact on the performance of the vSAN cluster?
- Is it the vSAN software state that is the root cause, which in all likelihood will impact all of the disks on this host?
- Is it a capacity issue, where too much space on the physical disk has been consumed? Each of these individual checks would need to be considered to determine the corrective course of action. Some of the checks imply that the drive is offline, others imply that the drive is still online, but some corrective action might be needed.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.