The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Applying a host profile causes compliance failure in VMware ESXi 5.x / 6.0.x (2002488)
- When attempting to complete the host profile application, or after applying the profile, you see these compliance failures:
Specification state absent from host: device 'datastore' state needs to be set to 'on'
Host state doesn't match specification: device 'datastore' needs to be reset
Specification state absent from host: device 'datastore' Path Selection Policy needs to be set to 'VMW_PSP_FIXED'
Host state doesn't match specification: device 'datastore' Path Selection Policy needs to be set to default for claiming SATP
- This issue occurs when a host profile that is saved from a reference host records a SCSI-3 device as potentially a shared device. However, if the SCSI-3 is a local device, then after the host profile is applied to a host, a compliance check can fail. For example, this issue can occur if Host1 has a SAS device with GUID1 and Host2 has a different SAS device with GUID2. Examples of local-only SCSI-3 devices include certain local RAID controllers and SAS disks.
Although the system hardware is comparable, you see a compliance error because similar devices with different device IDs are uniquely named in the form
naa.UID, instead of the generic form
mpx.pathname. The resulting profile compliance check detects that some devices are removed, while others are added without appearing in the stored profile.
VMware ESXi 5.5 Update 3a, available at VMware Downloads. For more information, see VMware ESXi 5.5 Update 3a Release Notes.
VMware ESXi 6.0.0, available at VMware Downloads. For more information, see the VMware vSphere 6.0 Release Notes.
Note: When you use storage devices that are not shared across a cluster, but that the vSphere storage stack cannot detect as local, compliance failures might occur when you apply a host profile. To resolve the compliance failures caused by using unshared storage devices, use the upgraded Pluggable Storage Architecture (PSA) and Native Multipathing Plug-In host profile policies. For more information, see the Configure Storage Host Profiles section of the vSphere Host Profiles Guide.
Additional InformationTo be alerted when this article is updated, click Subscribe to Document in the Actions box.
For translated versions of this article, see:
- Español: La aplicación de un perfil de host causa errores de cumplimiento normativo en VMware ESXi 5.0.x (2072896)
- Português: A aplicação de um perfil de host gera falha no VMware ESXi 5.0.x (2046570)
- 日本語: ホスト プロファイルを適用すると、VMware ESXi 5.x でコンプライアンスの不適合が生じる (2078432)
- 简体中文: 应用主机配置文件会导致 VMware ESXi 5.x/6.0.x 中出现合规性故障 (2076198)
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.