Overview of VMware Tools (340)
- Includes an overview of VMware Tools.
- Lists the product documentation that contains instructions for installing VMware Tools.
- Provides additional links to VMware Tools installation instructions and troubleshooting information.
For information on installing Tools in VMware vSphere, see Installing VMware Tools in vSphere (2004754).
- Low video resolution
- Inadequate color depth
- Incorrect display of network speed
- Restricted movement of the mouse
- Inability to copy and paste and drag-and-drop files
- Missing sound
- Provides the ability to take quiesced snapshots of the guest OS
- Synchronizes the time in the guest operating system with the time on the host
- VMware Tools service
- VMware device drivers
- VMware user process
- VMware Tools control panel
- ISOs (containing installers): These are packaged with the product and are installed in a number of ways, depending upon the VMware product and the guest operating system installed in the virtual machine. For more information, see the Installing VMware Tools section. VMware Tools provides a different ISO file for each type of supported guest operating system: Mac OS X,Windows, Linux, NetWare, Solaris, and FreeBSD.
- Operating System Specific Packages (OSPs): Downloadable binary packages that are built and provided by VMware for particular versions of Linux distributions. OSPs are typically available for older releases, such as RHEL 6. Most current versions of Linux include Open VM Tools, eliminating the need to separately install OSPs. To download OSPs and to find important information and instructions, see VMware Tools Operating System Specific Packages (OSPs). For a list of supported guest operating systems, see VMware Compatibility Guide.
- Open VM Tools (OVT): This is the open source implementation of VMware Tools intended for Linux distribution maintainers and virtual appliance vendors. OVTs are generally included in the current versions of popular Linux distributions, allowing administrators to effortlessly install and update VMware Tools alongside other Linux packages. For more information, see VMware support for Open VM Tools (2073803)
VMware Tools are normally bundled with VMware products as well as security updates when applicable. As of VMware Tools version 10, customers also have the option to download from My VMware.
Two different downloadable archives are presented, one for recent guest Operating System releases and another that covers older, legacy guest operating system versions.
VMware Tools are typically forward and backward compatible with several product releases. For more information, see VMware Compatibility Guide.
If you experience issues when installing VMware Tools, see these articles for troubleshooting information:
- Installing VMware Tools generates a general system error (1004718)
- VMware Tools installation fails with Error 1722 (1007306)
- Manually Building VMware Tools Kernel Modules in Ubuntu Guests (1008973)
- Manually Building VMware Tools Kernel Modules in SLES and SLED Guests (1009129)
- On certain Linux guest operating systems, the VMware Tools process vmware-user does not start automatically (1008071)
For translated versions of this article, see: