STP may cause temporary loss of network connectivity when a failover or failback event occurs (1003804)
In a switched network environment which uses Spanning Tree Protocol (STP), you experience these symptoms:
An ESXi or ESX host temporarily loses network connectivity when a failover or failback event occurs.
Virtual machines temporarily lose network connectivity when a failover or failback event occurs.
A VMware High Availability (HA) isolation event occurs after one of the teamed NICs of the COS is unplugged and plugged in to a different port.
When STP convergence is initiated it forces all of the physical switches in the STP domain to dump their forwarding tables and relearn the STP topology and all MAC addresses. This process can take between 30-50 seconds. During this time, no user data passes through the port. Some user applications can time out during this period. Connectivity is restored when the STP domain completes this convergence.To prevent the 30-50 second loss of connectivity during STP convergence, perform one of these options:
- To set STP to Portfast on all switch ports that are connected to network adapters on an ESXi/ESX hostAs the command will be different from model to model and vendor to vendor, contact your physical switch vendor for more detailed information on how to configure the same.
To set STP to Portfast on a switch, run the below command based on the switch model:
- spanning-tree portfast (for an access port)
spanning-tree portfast trunk (for a trunk port)
spanning-tree port type edge (for an access port)
spanning-tree port type edge trunk (for a trunk port)
- To set STP to Portfast on a Dell switch, run the command:
- HP switches use a feature called admin-edge-port, which works the same way as Portfast or RSTP.
To enable admin-edge-port, run the command:
spanning-tree port-list admin-edge-port
- VMware does not typically recommend that you disable STP. However, to prevent this issue from occurring, it may be necessary to disable STP. Before you disable STP, contact your switch vendor.
The command to disable STP depends on the switch. Contact your switch vendor for more detailed information.
To disable STP on a Nortel switch, run the command:
config ethernet stg stp disable
connect-esx connect-vm manage-esx network-failure no-network-connectivity physical-switch stp-physical-switch
- Sample Configuration - ESX/ESXi connecting to physical switch via VLAN access mode and External Switch VLAN Tagging (EST Mode) (1004127)