The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Retina display support in VMware Fusion (2034670)
- Retina display equipped Mac hardware
- Windows 7 or Windows 8 as a guest
Retina display support is not enabled by default. Users can switch to enable full Retina display under Settings > Display > Use full resolution for Retina display.
Optimizing Windows when running on a Retina display
When using full resolution, Windows icons and text appear very small. This can be adjusted under the Control Panel in Windows 7 and 8. For maximum crispness on the Retina display, the ClearType settings can also be tuned in the Control Panel. For more information, see the Microsoft articles Getting the best display on your monitor and Make the text on your screen larger or smaller.
Limitations of Retina display support
- Entering Unity mode when running on a Retina display with Use full resolution for Retina display selected results in larger than expected text. VMware recommends using Single-window and Full screen modes when using full Retina display resolution.
- Mac OS X running in a virtual machine is limited to an approximate resolution of 2560 x 1600, and treats the display as a standard DPI device. This makes the text and icons to appear small in the OS X interface.
- iMac 5K 5120 x 2880 retina display is currently not supported in VMware Fusion.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.