The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Virtual NIC settings on a Windows guest are lost after a virtual hardware upgrade (1015572)
This issue occurs when the virtual network card configured in the virtual machine is moved to a different position on the virtual PCI bus and results in the guest Operating System treating the existing virtual network card as a new hardware device.
Overview of the VMUpgradeHelper Tool
To workaround this issue, use the VMUpgradeHelper service before performing the virtual hardware upgrades on a virtual machine. For the updated version of VMware Upgrade helper, see:
The purpose of the VMUpgradeHelper service:
- It allows you to save the current configuration of any virtual network cards to the registry.
- It allows you to restore a previously saved configuration, overwriting the current configuration of the virtual network cards.
Note: The VMUpgradeHelper service is only available with the latest version of VMware Tools, so you must upgrade VMware Tools before upgrading from a hardware version 4 virtual machine to a hardware version 7 virtual machine. For more information, see:
- Overview of VMware Tools (340)
- Install VMware Tools on a Windows Guest in the vSphere Basic System Administration Guide
Settings that are saved when using the VMUpgradeHelper Tool
The VMUpgradeHelper service saves and restores the following NIC information:
- IPv4/v6 network addresses and subnets masks
- Default gateways and cost metrics
- DHCP state (enabled or disabled)
- Domain name
- Server search order list
- The Register this connection's addresses in DNS setting
Settings that are not saved using the VMUpgradeHelper ToolThe VMUpgradeHelper service does not save the following network protocol connections:
- The NetBios setting
- Alternate configuration settings
- IP filtering
- Permitted IP protocols
- Permitted TCP ports
- Permitted UDP ports
Using the VMUpgradeHelper Tool
Note: In later versions of VMware Tools the VMUpgradeHelper tool may have a .bat extension. The usage is the same as the .exe version.
VMUpgradeHelper.exe / VMUpgradeHelper.bat usage:
- /s Saves network configuration into the registry.
- /r Restores network configuration from the registry.
- /i Installs the VMUpgradeHelper service.
- /u Removes the VMUpgradeHelper service.
Recommended procedure to save the network configuration before performing a virtual hardware upgrade:
- Open a command prompt inside the Windows virtual machine.
- Navigate to the VMware Tools install directory (C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools).
- Save the network configuration using one of the following:
- VMUpgradeHelper.exe /s
- VMUpgradeHelper.bat /s
- VMUpgradeHelper.exe /r
- VMUpgradeHelper.bat /r
- Upgrading a virtual machine to the latest hardware version (multiple versions)
- Restoring NIC settings using the VMUpgradeHelper /r command fails with the error: The service encountered an error either reading or writing a device property
- Networking Error: IP address already assigned to another adapter
- 升级虚拟硬件后 Windows 客户机上的虚拟网卡设置丢失
This Article Replaces
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.