Number of virtual machines that can be run simultaneously in VMware Workstation (80)
How many VMware Workstation virtual machines can I run simultaneously?
There are several factors that determine how many virtual machines can be run on a specific host machine. Because of this, it is not possible to directly specify how many virtual machines a given host can run at once. The factors can be roughly sorted in this order of importance:
- Each virtual machine requires some overhead memory to manage it, which means each uses a total of up to about 1.3 times the amount of memory (RAM) given in the virtual machine settings.
- Total virtual machine memory restrictions, for different versions of VMware Workstation:
- 4.5.1 and earlier: a maximum of 1GB total available for all running virtual machines.
- 4.52 - 5.5: a maximum of 4GB total available for all running virtual machines.
- 6.x and later: No maximum limit for the total available for all virtual machines.
The number and speed of host machine CPUs determine the performance of multiple virtual machines.
Hard drive speed
The faster the drive on the host system, the better a virtual machine performs.