The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Overview of VMware Tools (340)
For information specific to VMware Fusion, see Overview of VMware Tools for VMware Fusion (1022048).
For information about installing Tools in vSphere 5.x, see Installing VMware Tools in vSphere (2004754).
- Low video resolution
- Inadequate color depth
- Incorrect display of network speed
- Restricted movement of the mouse
- Inability to copy and paste and drag-and-drop files
- Missing sound
- VMware Tools service
- VMware device drivers
- VMware user process
- VMware Tools control panel
- ISOs (contain
.tarfiles): These are packaged with the product and are installed in a number of ways, depending upon the VMware product and the guest operating system installed in the virtual machine. For more information, see the Installing VMware Tools section. VMware Tools provides a different ISO file for each type of supported guest operating system: Windows, Linux, NetWare, Solaris, and FreeBSD.
- Operating System Specific Packages (OSPs): These are downloaded and installed from the command line on an ESXi/ESX host. VMware Tools is available as separate downloadable, light-weight packages that are specific to each supported Linux operating system and VMware product. OSPs are an alternative to the existing mechanism for installing VMware Tools and only support Linux systems running on ESXi/ESX. To download OSPs and to find important information and instructions, go to http://www.vmware.com/download/packages.html. For a list of supported guest operating systems, go to http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=software.
For specific instructions to install, upgrade, and configure VMware Tools, see one of these documents on the VMware Documentation page:
- VMware Workstation User's Manual
- VMware ESX Basic System Administration guide
- VMware Server User’s Guide
- VMware Player in-product help
Note: Select Help > Help Topics from the VMware Player product interface to access the online help.
- Installing VMware Tools generates a general system error (1004718)
- VMware Tools installation fails with Error 1722 (1007306)
- Manually Building VMware Tools Kernel Modules in Ubuntu Guests (1008973)
- Manually Building VMware Tools Kernel Modules in SLES and SLED Guests (1009129)
- On certain Linux guest operating systems, the VMware Tools process vmware-user does not start automatically (1008071)
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.