The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Overview of VMware Tools (340)
- Includes an overview of VMware Tools.
- Lists the product documentation that contains instructions for installing VMware Tools.
- Provides additional links to VMware Tools installation instructions and troubleshooting information.
For information on installing Tools in vSphere 5.x, see Installing VMware Tools in vSphere (2004754).
- Low video resolution
- Inadequate color depth
- Incorrect display of network speed
- Restricted movement of the mouse
- Inability to copy and paste and drag-and-drop files
- Missing sound
- Provides the ability to take quiesced snapshots of the guest OS
- Synchronizes the time in the guest operating system with the time on the host
- Provides support for guest-bound calls created with the VMware VIX API
- VMware Tools service
- VMware device drivers
- VMware user process
- VMware Tools control panel
- ISOs (contain
.tarfiles): These are packaged with the product and are installed in a number of ways, depending upon the VMware product and the guest operating system installed in the virtual machine. For more information, see the Installing VMware Tools section. VMware Tools provides a different ISO file for each type of supported guest operating system: Windows, Linux, NetWare, Solaris, and FreeBSD.
- Operating System Specific Packages (OSPs): These are downloaded and installed from the command line on an ESXi/ESX host. VMware Tools is available as separate downloadable, light-weight packages that are specific to each supported Linux operating system and VMware product. OSPs are an alternative to the existing mechanism for installing VMware Tools and only support Linux systems running on ESXi/ESX. To download OSPs and to find important information and instructions, see VMware Tools Operating System Specific Packages (OSPs). For a list of supported guest operating systems, see VMware Compatibility Guide.
For specific instructions to install, upgrade, and configure VMware Tools, see one of these documents on the VMware Documentation:
- VMware Workstation User's Manual
- VMware ESX Basic System Administration guide
- VMware Server User’s Guide
- VMware Player in-product help
Note: Select Help > Help Topics from the VMware Player product interface to access the online help.
If you experience issues when installing VMware Tools, see these articles for troubleshooting information:
- Installing VMware Tools generates a general system error (1004718)
- VMware Tools installation fails with Error 1722 (1007306)
- Manually Building VMware Tools Kernel Modules in Ubuntu Guests (1008973)
- Manually Building VMware Tools Kernel Modules in SLES and SLED Guests (1009129)
- On certain Linux guest operating systems, the VMware Tools process vmware-user does not start automatically (1008071)
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.