Increasing the default value that defines the maximum number of NFS mounts on an ESXi/ESX host (2239)
This article provides information on:
- Configuring NFS TCP and NFS HEAP settings
- Identifying appropriate settings for
Note: vSphere 6.0 has increased the maximum heap size and added support for the NFS 4.1 protocol. There are some differences between NFS3 and NFS4.1 support in vSphere 6.0. For more information, see the Understanding Network File System Datastores section of vSphere 6.0 Storage.
To edit advanced configuration options, select the ESXi/ESX host in the Inventory Panel, then navigate to Configuration > Software > Advanced Settings to launch the Settings window.
Set these values:
- Under NFS, Select NFS.MaxVolumes: Limits the number of NFS datastores which can be mounted by the vSphere ESXi/ESX host concurrently. The default value is 8, and can be increased to a maximum specific to the version of ESXi/ESX:
- ESXi/ESX 3.x: Set NFS.MaxVolumes to 32
- ESXi/ESX 4.x: Set NFS.MaxVolumes to 64
- ESXi 5.0/5.1/5.5: Set NFS.MaxVolumes to 256
- ESXi 6.0: Set NFS.MaxVolumes to 256
- Under Net, Select Net.TcpipHeapSize: The amount of heap memory, measured in megabytes, which is allocated for managing VMkernel TCP/IP network connectivity. When increasing the number of NFS datastores, increase the default amount of heap memory as well:
- ESXi/ESX 3.x: Set Net.TcpipHeapSize to 30
- ESXi/ESX 4.x: Set Net.TcpipHeapSize to 32
- ESXi 5.0/5.1/5.5: Set Net.TcpipHeapSize to 32
- ESXi 6.0: Set Net.TcpipHeapSize to 32
- Under Net, Select Net.TcpipHeapMax: The maximum amount of heap memory, measured in megabytes, which can be allocated for managing VMkernel TCP/IP network connectivity. When increasing the number of NFS datastores, increase the maximum amount of heap memory as well, up to the maximum specific to the version of ESXi/ESX host:
- ESXi/ESX 3.x : Set Net.TcpipHeapMax to 120
- ESXi/ESX 4.x: Set Net.TcpipHeapMax to 128
- ESXi 5.0/5.1: Set Net.TcpipHeapMax to 128
- ESXi 5.5: Set Net.TcpipHeapMax to 512
- ESXi 6.0: Set Net.TcpipHeapMax to 1536
- These settings enable the maximum number of NFS mounts for vSphere ESXi/ESX.
- Changing Net.TcpipHeapSize and/or Net.TcpipHeapMax requires a host reboot for the changes to take effect.
Modify the three advanced configuration options using the vSphere Client or other method. For a full list of methods, see Configuring advanced options for ESX/ESXi (1038578).
For more information on advanced NFS settings, see Definition of the advanced NFS options (1007909) and the Best Practices for running VMware vSphere on Network Attached Storage whitepaper.
Additional InformationFor translated versions of this article, see:
- 日本語: ESXi/ESX ホスト上で NFS マウントの最大数を定義するデフォルト値を増やす (2080703)
- 简体中文: 增加定义 ESXi/ESX 主机上挂载的 NFS 最大数量的默认值 (2086059)