What Is VMSA-2006-0004, Several Security Issues Affecting ESX Server 2.5.x? (2118366)
|VMware Security Advisory VMSA-2006-0004|
Several security issues affecting ESX 2.5.x
|Response issued on||2006-07-26|
|Response updated on||2006-07-26|
VMware ESX 2.0.2 prior to upgrade patch 1
Upgrade to the latest packages: www.vmware.com/download/esx/.
Installing the Update
This update requires you to boot your server into Linux mode to perform the upgrade. When you are prompted to reboot at the end of the upgrade, the installer will restart your system to run ESX Server.
- Power off all virtual machines and shut down your server.
- Restart your system.
- At the LILO boot menu, select the Linux option. Allow the system start procedure to complete.
- As root, log on to the ESX Server service console in Linux mode. Make sure your path variable contains /usr/bin:/bin.
- Download the TAR file into a temporary directory under /root on your ESX Server service console.
- Change directories to that temporary directory.
Verify the integrity of the package for your version:
# md5sum esx-*-upgrade.tar.gz
The md5 checksum output should match one of the following:
- Extract the compressed tar archive:
# tar -xvzf esx-2.0.1-18595-upgrade.tar.gz
- Change directories to the newly created directory
# cd esx-2.0.1-18595-upgrade
- Run the patch installer:
# /usr/bin/perl ./upgrade.pl
Note: Once you start the installation script, do not enter keyboard escape commands such as Ctrl-C or Ctrl-D. Using escape commands will interrupt the upgrade procedure and leave your system partially upgraded.
- The system updates have now been installed. A reboot prompt displays:
Reboot the server now [y/n]?
This update will not be complete until you reboot the ESX Server system. If you enter N, to indicate that you will not reboot at this time, ESX Server displays the warning message:
Please reboot the server manually for this update to take effect. Update has been terminated unexpectedly.
If you see this message, you must manually reboot the server to complete the driver update.
- At the reboot prompt, enter Y to reboot the server.
VMware would like to thank Stephen de Vries and Martin O'Neal of the security consultancy Corsaire Limited (www.corsaire.com/).