The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Investigating VMware View Composer failure codes (2085204)
- You are unable to provision or recompose VMware Horizon View desktops.
- Provisioning or recomposing the VMware Horizon View Desktops fails with an error similar to:
View composer agent initialization state error (##): ...
|0||The policy was applied successfully.|
Note: Result code 0 does not appear in View Administrator. The linked-clone machine proceeds to a Ready state, unless a View error outside the domain of View Composer occurs.
|1||Failed to set the computer name.|
|2||Failed to redirect the user profiles to the View Composer persistent disk.|
|3||Failed to set the computer's domain account password.|
|4||Failed to back up a user's profile keys. The next time the user logs in to this linked-clone machine after the recompose operation, the OS creates a new profile directory for the user. As a new profile is created, the user cannot not see the old profile data.|
|5||Failed to restore a user's profile. The user should not log in to the machine in this state because the profile state is undefined.|
|6||Errors not covered by other error codes. The View Composer agent log files in the guest OS can provide more information about the causes of these errors. (For more information on log locations, see the QuickPrep/Sysprep Script and Composer Customization logs section in Location of VMware View log files (1027744).)|
For example, a Windows Plug and Play (PnP) timeout can generate this error code. In this situation, View Composer times out after waiting for the PnP service to install new volumes for the linked-clone virtual machine. PnP mounts up to three disks, depending on how the pool was configured:
|7||Too many View Composer persistent disks are attached to the linked clone. A clone can have a maximum of three View Composer persistent disks.|
|8||A persistent disk could not be mounted on the datastore that was selected when the pool was created.|
|9||View Composer could not redirect disposable data files to the non-persistent disk. Either the paging file or the temp files folders were not redirected.|
|10||View Composer cannot find the QuickPrep configuration policy file on the specified internal disk.|
|12||View Composer cannot find the internal disk that contains the QuickPrep configuration policy file and other OS related data.|
|13||More than one persistent disk is configured to redirect the Windows user profile.|
|14||View Composer failed to unmount the internal disk.|
|15||The computer name that View Composer read from configuration policy file does not match the current system name after the linked clone is initially powered on.|
|16||The View Composer agent did not start because the volume license for the guest OS was not activated.|
|17||The View Composer agent did not start. The agent timed out while waiting for Sysprep to start.|
|18||The View Composer agent failed to join the linked clone virtual machine to a domain during customization.|
|19||The View Composer agent failed to execute a post-synchronization script.|
|20||The View Composer agent failed to handle a machine password synchronization event.|
This error might be transient. If the linked clone joins the domain, the password is correct.
If the clone fails to join the domain, restart the operation you performed before the error occurred. If you restarted the clone, restart it again. If you refreshed the clone, refresh it again. If the clone still fails to join the domain, recompose the clone.
- Linked clone deploy or recompose results in the error: View Composer agent initialization state error (6): Unknown failure (waited 0 seconds) (1011653)
- Deploying or recomposing a View desktop pool fails with the error: View composer agent initialization state error (2) (1021347)
- Provisioning VMware Horizon View desktops fails with error: View Composer Agent initialization error (16): Failed to activate software license. (1026556)
- Creating or provisioning a VMware View desktop pool fails with the error: View Composer Fault: VMware.Sim.Fault.VcDatastoreInaccessibleFault (2001736)
- Provisioning View desktop pool fails with the error: View Composer agent initialization state error (-65535) (2002096)
- Provisioning the View desktop pool fails with the error: View Composer agent initialization state error (18): Failed to join the domain (waited nnn seconds) (2006879)
- Creating a new desktop pool fails with the error: View Composer agent initialization state error (-1): illegal state (waited 0 seconds) (2009713)
- Provisioning or recomposing fails with the error: View Composer agent initialization state error (19): Failed to execute postsync script (2011315)
- View desktop customization fails with the error: View Composer agent initialization error (13) more than one persistent disk has the same usage (2013459)
- View Manager Admin console displays the error: Error during provisioning: Unexpected VC fault from View Composer (Unknown) (2014321)
- Guest customization runs repeatedly on virtual machines deployed to ESXi 5.1 host build 1743533 (2078352)
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.