The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 guest operating system option is not available (2069889)
- In vSphere 5.x, the guest operating system option for Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 is unavailable.
- When installing Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 in a virtual machine, you see that the guest operating system option is not available.
- Microsoft has only released Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2 as 64-bit operating systems. 32-bit versions are not available.
- VMware products do not need to differentiate between these OS releases in a virtual machine.
- The Windows Server 2012 option is available only in hardware version 8 or later.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.