The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Cannot upload log files using VMware vCenter Support Assistant 5.1 (2059759)
This issue is resolved in VMware vCenter Support Assistant 5.1.1. You can download the latest release from the VMware Download Center. For more information about this version, see the VMware vCenter Support Assistant 5.1.1 Release Notes.
If you cannot upgrade to VMware vCenter Support Assistant 5.1.1, you can continue to use VMware vCenter Support Assistant 5.1 to file Support Requests, but you must use manual FTP or email to upload files to VMware Technical Support. For more information, see Uploading diagnostic information for VMware (1008525).
About VMware vCenter Support Assistant
VMware vCenter Support Assistant is a free plug-in for VMware vCenter Server that creates and manages Support Requests and generates and uploads logs. VMware vCenter Support Assistant 5.1.1 restores the ability to upload log files and attachments when submitting Support Requests, functionality that was temporarily suspended due to an upload process change. VMware vCenter Support Assistant 5.1.1 also addresses other known issues. For more information, see Issues resolved since vCenter Support Assistant 5.1 in this article.
VMware vCenter Support Assistant 5.1.1 now uses both FTP and best-effort HTTPS* to transmit files to VMware. The transmission process is transparent to the user, but note that VMware vCenter Support Assistant defaults to FTP for all uploads. If FTP is not available or permitted, HTTPS is used.
Note: * HTTPS file transfers are not guaranteed due to factors including sender connectivity and Internet health. For more information, see the VMware vCenter Support Assistant 5.1.1 Release Notes.
- Create new Support Requests.
- View and modify existing Support Requests.
- Generate, attach, and upload vSphere log bundle data to a Support Request.
- Upload other attachments, such as screenshots or diagnostic log information, from non-vSphere products to VMware Support.
- No file-size limitations for uploading vSphere log bundles.
- Attach and upload logs to escalated Support Requests. This feature was non-functional in version 5.1.
- Support Request correspondence updates are now ordered chronologically.
- Support Request status correctly changes to Inbound message received when you provide a comment update in Support Assistant.
- Updated SSL certificate on the Support Assistant virtual appliance.
- Support Assistant virtual appliance operating system updated with the latest security patches.
Downloading VMware vCenter Support Assistant 5.1.1
To restore the upload functionality or to begin using VMware vCenter Support Assistant as new user, download and install version 5.1.1.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.