The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Monitor vCenter Server Appliance database disk usage (2058187)
- For statistics, see "Configuring Statistics Settings in the vSphere Web Client" in the vCenter Server and Host Management publication.
- For events and tasks, see "Configuring vCenter Server in the vSphere Web Client" in the vCenter Server and Host Management publication.
You can also monitor the disk usage of the vPostgres disk using the following instructions.
- Download the attached mon_disk_space.zip file.
- Preconfigure the bash script (mon_disk_space) in this archive before using the script.
By default the script sends an email message to the email specified for password expiration warning. This address is located on the admin page of the vCenter Server Appliance under expiration warning. To override this, provide an email address in mon_disk_space for alert messages:
# Please provide email for alert messages email=''
By default, the script sends an email message when 80 percent of the vPostgres disk is filled. To change this setting, edit the following line the bash script to change the threshold setting:
# Please provide percentage threshold for PostgreSQL used disk space thresh=80
- To deploy the script in the vCenter Server Appliance, run the script as a cron scheduled job within the following folders:
/etc/cron.hourly/ for hourly jobs
/etc/cron.daily/ for daily jobs
/etc/cron.weekly/ for weekly jobs
/etc/cron.monthly/ for monthly jobs
- Change the file settings so that it is executable by cron by running the following command:
chmod 700 /etc/cron.hourly/mon_disk_space
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.