The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Editing the .vmx file of a VMware Workstation and VMware Player virtual machine (2057902)
This article provides steps to edit the .vmx (virtual machine configuration) file of your VMware Workstation and VMware Player virtual machine.
Note: Editing a .vmx file may be required to complete steps in a Knowledge Base article or at the request of VMware Support staff.
To edit the .vmx file:
- Shut down the virtual machine.
- Locate the virtual machine's files. For more information, see Locating a hosted virtual machine's files (1003880).
- Open the virtual machine's configuration file (.vmx) in a text editor.
- Add or edit lines as needed. Lines are displayed in no particular order.
- When finished, save the changes by using the save option in the text editor.
- Exit the text editor.
Note: Changes made to the .vmx file do not take effect until the next time VMware Workstation or VMware Player is opened. If the application is currently open, quit it and re-open for the changes to take effect. Alternatively, double-click the .vmx file to apply the changes and open the virtual machine immediately.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.