The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Troubleshooting virtual machine remote console issues in VMware vCloud Hybrid Service (2051559)
- You are unable to view the virtual machine remote (VMRC) console within VMware vCloud Hybrid Service
- If you select the virtual machine thumbnail and or click Popout Console, you see a black screen that displays Connecting... for more than 5 minutes.
- Incompatible web browser. Currently, vCloud Hybrid Service is compatible with only these 32-bit browsers:
- Internet Explorer 7.x and 8.x with Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition (all 32 and 64-bit operating systems)
- Internet Explorer 9.x with Windows Server 2008, 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (all 32 and 64-bit operating systems) Mozilla Firefox 12.x, 13.x
Note: For more information about web browser compatibilty, see Browsers That vCloud Director Supports in the VMware vCloud Director Installation and Upgrade Guide.
- Incompatible version of Adobe Flash Player. Currently, vCloud Hybrid Service requires the 32-bit version of Adobe Flash Player 10.2 or later.
- Incompatible version of Java. Currently vCloud Hybrid Service clients must have JRE 1.6.0 update 10 or later installed and enabled. Only the 32-bit version is supported.
- Firewall Rules restricting console traffic. Ensure that port 443 outbound is open for VMRC connections.
Note: vCloud Hybrid Service VMRC uses a socket connection. Although the traffic is over port 443, it does not use a https web connection.
To troubleshoot this issue, ensure that you are using a supported web browser, version of Adobe Flash Player, version of Java, and ensure that port 443 is open.
To further troubleshoot this issue for Internet Explorer if you have confirmed you are using a supported version of web browser, Java and Flash:
- vCloud Director requires clients to use SSL. SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0 are supported versions. Ensure that is SSL 3.0 Encryption and TLS 1.0 Encryption are enabled within Internet Explorer.
- Ensure that Security settings are correct:
- Click Tools > Internet Options.
- Click the Security tab.
- Select the Internet content zone for the vCloud Director server.
- Click Custom Level and select Enable or Prompt for these options.
- Download signed ActiveX controls
- Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins
- Allow META REFRESH
- Active scripting of Microsoft web browser control
- Click OK.
You can find additional debug informtion from the client side VMRC logs.
In Windows XP/2003, the vCloud Director VMRC client-side log files are located at:
C:\Documents and Settings\loginUser\Local Settings\Temp\vmware-loginUser\vmware-loginUser-vmrcPid.log
C:\Documents and Settings\loginUser\Local Settings\Temp\vmware-loginUser\vmware-vmrcPid-mks-loginUser-remoteMKSPid.log
C:\Documents and Settings\loginUser\Local Settings\Temp\vmrc-plugin\plugin-pluginPid.log
In Windows 7/2008, the vCloud Director VMRC client-side log files are located at:
In Linux, the log files are located at:
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.