VMFS Heartbeat and Lock corruption on Dell EqualLogic Arrays (2049103)
When using Dell EqualLogic Storage arrays, particularly when running PS Series firmware v6.0.6 within your ESXi/ESX environment, you may experience one or more of these symptoms:
- Unable to power on virtual machines.
- Virtual machines report as Invalid in the VMware vCenter Server inventory.
- Virtual machine files appear to be locked even though the affected virtual machine is powered off.
- VMFS volume may be inaccessible.
- Messages in the VMkernel log or VMkwarning log files indicate METADATA corruption or Lock Corruption.
- Attempting to migrate a virtual machine using VMware vMotion fails with the error:
The operation is not allowed in the current state of the host
- Hard disk failure in the array
- Controller failure in the array
- Unexpected power outage
- Network connectivity issues
A VMFS datastore has a region designated for heartbeat types of operations to ensure that distributed access to the volume occurs safely. When files are being updated, the heartbeat region for those files is locked by the host until the update is complete.
In this scenario, the heartbeat region has become corrupt.
Note: It is important that you follow the best practices for implementing EqualLogic Storage arrays into a VMware environment. For more information, see http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20434601.aspx.