Upgrading only an ESXi host beneath VMware vCloud Director 1.5.x / 5.1.x (2045239)
- Log in to vCloud Director as Administrator.
- In the Manage & Monitor tab, click Hosts.
- Right-click the first host you want to upgrade and disable it. This prevents new virtual machines from being created on this host.
Note: The active virtual machines will not be affected.
- Right-click the host and redeploy all virtual machines. This migrates all virtual machines off of the host provided your vSphere environment is properly configured for DRs/vMotion.
- Confirm that no virtual machines are running on your ESXi host. Put it in Maintenance Mode.
- Perform the upgrade.
- After your host is upgraded and is no longer running in Maintenance Mode, go to the Manage & Monitor tab in vCloud Director and click Hosts.
- Right-click the disabled host and enable to bring it back online.
To resolve this issue for all remaining hosts, repeat steps 2 to 8.
Running these steps in an active vCloud Director environment can lead to performance problems, as you are migrating any active virtual machines from one host to another. Users may experience a pause in access related to the vMotion of machines during step 4. If there are any problems with your configuration or infrastructure related to DRS/ vMotion, additional problems may occur. To be caution, always schedule downtime or outage windows before attempting upgrades.