The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Installing a device driver in Windows 7 fails with the error: Exit status: FAILURE(0x000005b4) (2044992)
- Cannot install a device driver in Windows 7
- Installing the device driver fails
- In the setupapi.dev.log file, you see the error:
Exit status: FAILURE(0x000005b4)
- Drivers are not applied to base layers when using the driver library
This article provides steps to change the device installation timeout value in Windows 7.
To resolve this issue, you must increase the device installation timeout value.
To increase the device installation timeout value:
- Click Start > Run, type gpedit.msc, and click OK.
- In the left pane, go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation.
- In the right pane, click Configure device installation time-out and click Policy Setting.
- In the popup that appears, select the Enabled option.
- Increase the value of Device Installation Time (in seconds) option. For example, set it to 1800 (30 minutes).
- Click Apply and then click OK.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.