The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Log in screen does not appear in a Fedora18 virtual machine (GNOME) when 3D is enabled (2044682)
- Cannot log in to a GNOME-based default Fedora 18 virtual machine
- No login window appears for GNOME-based default Fedora 18 virtual machines when 3D is enabled
This is a known issue in Fusion 4.x/5.x and Workstation 9.x.
Note: Fedora 18 is not supported in VMware Fusion. VMware Technical Support will not provide any assistance, if the steps below fail to resolve the issue for Fusion 4.x and 5.x.
To work around this issue, use the KDE desktop instead of GNOME.
- Power off the virtual machine.
- Ensure that the virtual machine is shut down.
- Disable 3D Acceleration.
To disable 3D Acceleration:
- In Workstation, navigate to VM > Setting > Hardware > Display and deselect the Accelerate 3D Graphics option.
- In Fusion, navigate to Virtual Machines > Settings > Display and turn off the Accelerate 3D Graphics option.
- Power on the virtual machine.
- Log in to the virtual machine.
- Upgrade the Mesa3D packages to version 9.0.3 or later.
- After upgrading the Mesa3D packages, power off the virtual machine and enable the Accelerate 3D graphics option.
- Power on the virtual machine again. The GNOME-based default Fedora 18 Guest with 3D should now work properly.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.