The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Logging into the vSphere Data Protection Restore Client fails with the error: Cannot locate login client in VDP (2042092)
- You cannot log into the vSphere Data Protection Restore Client.
- When logging into the vSphere Data Protection Restore Client, you see the error:
Login failed. Cannot locate login client (VM_IP_address) in VDP.
- If virtual machine from which the vSphere Data Protection Restore Client was launched has never been added to a backup job on the VDP appliance used in the URL to access the Restore Client.
- If the network appliance is using network address translation (NAT) and is sending all VDP traffic through a proxy/firewall.
- If the user did not install VMware Tools in the virtual machine trying to access the portal.
If the issue is due to a firewall/proxy, exclude all VDP traffic from using the this route.
If the issue is due to missing VMware Tools, another backup with the VMware Tools is not required. Simply installing VMware Tools in the virtual machine corrects the authentication error.
For more information, see the vSphere Data Protection Administration Guide.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.