The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Update link in vShield Manager is not available if vShield App upgrade fails (2041446)
- vShield App upgrade fails, but vShield Manager shows the new build number and does not provide an option to update.
- During the vShield App Upgrade process:
- The vCenter Server becomes unreachable and fails with a generic error message on the vShield Manager Host Summary Page
- The Update Link is not available
- The version mentioned on the Summary page of Service virtual machine through the vSphere Client is different from the one mentioned in the About Page of the vShield Manager.
- You see the this error when you try to Update vShield App through the vShield Manager UI:
vShield App installation encountered error while installing service VM:Internal server error: ; nested exception is: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
- Installation of the
dvfilterVIB on the ESXi/ESX host
- Deployment and configuration of the Service virtual machine on the ESXi/ESX host
dvfilterVIB fails resulting in an install/upgrade failure, the first step of VIB installation is not reverted). This is because VIB removal requires a host restart.
vShield Manager checks the version of the
dvfilterVIB to verify if an upgrade is necessary. Since vCenter Server is not reachable after the
dvfilterVIB is upgraded to the latest version, the Service virtual machines cannot be upgraded and vShield Manager does not provide the update option. This results in the difference in versions between the vShield Manager UI and the Summary page of the Service virtual machines via the vSphere Client.
dvfiltermodule and the vShield Manager are able to communicate to the older Service virtual machines and the security policies are still enforced.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.