The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Launching Workstation Help fails in SUSE Linux Enterprise (2041198)
- Cannot launch the VMware Workstation Help when logged in as the root user
- Help button in the Workstation user interface may not work on SUSE Linux Enterprise
- Launching the VMware Workstation Help fails
- You see the error:
/usr/lib64/firefox/firefox: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/vmware/libconf/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so: undefined symbol: g_malloc_n
- This issue affects dialogs that are launched as root
This is a known issue in VMware Workstation 9.x and is currently under investigation.
To work around this issue:
- Open the config file, located at /etc/vmware/, using a text editor.
- Ensure that the gksu.rootMethod is set to sudo. For example:
gksu.rootMethod = sudo
- Save and close the file.
If the preceding steps do not resolve the issue, try reinstalling VMware Workstation as the root user.
To reinstall VMware Workstation:
- Open a new Terminal window.
- Run this command to change directory to the folder that contains the download:
- Run this command in the Terminal:
sudo sh VMware-Workstation-xxxx-xxxx.architecture.bundle
xxxx-xxxx is the version and build numbers
architecture is i386 or x86_64
- Follow the screen prompts to install the product.
- After the installation completes, run this command to launch Workstation:
- Open Virtual Network Editor by navigating to Edit > Virtual Network Editor.
- Enter the root user credentials.
The Workstation Help should now open correctly.
Note: Ensure that you do not use a su shell when installing Workstation.
To be alerted when this article is updated, click Subscribe to Document in the Actions box.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.