The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Registering the VDP 5.1 appliance with vCenter Server fails with the error: Specified user either is not a dedicated VDP user or does not have sufficient vCenter privileges to administer VDP (2040066)
- Cannot register the vSphere Data Protection (VDP) appliance with vCenter Server
- Registering the VDP appliance with vCenter Server fails
- Using Administrator credentials when attempting to register a VDP appliance with vCenter Server
- You see the error:
- Non-English vSphere Client shows a red cross mark with no error message while attempting registration of the VDP appliance.
To grant explicit Administrator permissions:
- Log in to the vSphere Web Client as the vCenter Server administrator.
- Select your vCenter Server system in the object navigator.
- Click the Manage tab and click Permissions.
- Right-click the line item to select the user and role pair and click Change Role.
- Select the Administrators Role from the dropdown.
- To propagate the privileges to the children of the assigned inventory object, select the Propagate option.
- Click OK.
- Register the VDP appliance.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.