The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Shared folder in a Windows 2012 virtual machine is not accessible over the network (2039739)
- Cannot access a shared folder in a Windows 2012 virtual machine from other machines in the network
- A shared folder with appropriate permissions in a Windows 2012 virtual machine is not accessible over the network
- You see the error:
Windows cannot access ip_address\folder_name
You do not have permission to access ip_address\folder_name. Contact your network administrator to request access.
This issue occurs if both the HotPlug capability and the Audit object access GPO are enabled on the shared folder.
- The HotPlug capability is enabled by default
- This issue does not occur in a physical Windows 2012 machine with a SCSI disk because this disk is not hot-pluggable.
To work around this issue, use one of these options:
- Disable the Audit object access GPO. For more information, see the Microsoft TechNet Article Configuring Audit Policies.
Note: The preceding link was correct as of December 18, 2012. If you find the link is broken, provide feedback and a VMware employee will update the link.
- Disable the HotPlug capability on the virtual machine. For more information, see Disabling the HotAdd/HotPlug capability in ESX/ESXi 4.x and ESXi 5.0 virtual machines (1012225).
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.