The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Firewall requirements for vRealize Operations Manager SMTP alerts (2039445)
- Unable to send emails from the vRealize Operations Manager (formerly known as VMware vCenter Operations Manager (vApp)) setup
- In the /data/vcops/log/analytics.log file, you see entries similar to::
2012-11-05 12:59:21,645 DEBUG [Thread-11] com.vmware.vcops.plugins.filter.EmailResender.run - Fetching email job from queue..
2012-11-05 12:59:21,645 DEBUG [Thread-11] com.vmware.vcops.plugins.filter.EmailResender.run - Processing emailJob Email job for rule : 1 | created at = 1351828019215
2012-11-05 12:59:42,844 WARN [Thread-11] com.vmware.vcops.plugins.filter.EmailResender.run - Resend failed for : Email job for rule : 1 | created at = 1351828019215
javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: SMTP Server, port: 25;
- You have verified that the SMTP is properly configured in the Admin UI
This issue occurs if:
- The firewall blocks the SMTP traffic coming from the Analytics VM.
- The SMTP server connection had timed out while attempting to connect.
In vRealize Operations Manager (formerly known as VMware vCenter Operations Manager (vApp)), the emails are sent for Alerts and Scheduled Reports.
- Alert emails are sent from the Analytics VM
- Scheduled Reports emails are sent from the UI VM
To resolve this issue, ensure that the firewall allows SMTP traffic for both Analytics and UI VMs for successful retrieval of emails for Alerts and Scheduled Reports.
To retrieve the SMTP settings:
- Log in to the UI virtual machine as an admin user.
- To get the SMTP server details, run this command:
vcops-admin smtp info
- Telnet to the SMTP server from Analytics VM on Port 25 to verify the connectivity.
Note: SMTP is usually configured on port 25, but this may vary in some environments.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.