The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Login attempts with error in vCenter Operations Manager 5.x: This product is unlicensed or cannot connect to the vSphere Server (2037573)
- Attempt to login to vCenter Operations Manager fails with error:
This product is unlicensed or cannot connect to the vSphere Server. Use a vSphere Client to connect to the vCenter Server and assign a license key.
- License Status displays as Unlicensed in the vCenter Operations Admin user interface.
- Connection Status displays as Not Connected in the vCenter Operations Admin user interface.
- vCenter Operations Manager displays as a licensed asset in vCenter Server.
- vCenter Operations Manager previously showed up as a licensed asset in vCenter Server, but does not after a re-installation of vCenter Server.
This issue can be caused by a communication failure between vCenter Operations and vCenter Server. If the communication failure goes on long enough, the vCenter Server is considered to be disconnected, and the license status is not queried.
This can also happen if vCenter Server is reinstalled. vCenter Operations Manager still has the registration information for the re-installed vCenter Server, but vCenter Server does not have the vCenter Operations Manager extension registered.
- Log in to the vCenter Operations Manager Admin UI at https://<IP address of UI VM>/admin as the admin user.
- Click Update (beside the vCenter Server name).
- Re-enter the Registration and Collection user passwords.
- Click Apply
The update process may take several minutes to complete.
Once the update process is complete, the License Status should be Licensed and the Connection Status should be Connected. If the License Status still displays Not Licensed, return to the vSphere Client and apply the appropriate license key to vCenter Operations Manager. For more information, see Licensing vCenter Operations Manager 5.0 for detailed instructions on licensing vCenter Operations Manager.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.