After upgrading to vCenter Server 5.1, you see the error: Datastore '<datastore>' conflicts with an existing datastore in the datacenter that has the same URL (<URL>) but is backed by different physical storage (2036481)
- After upgrading to VMware vCenter Server 5.1.x, you see this error:
Error:Datastore 'StorageX' conflicts with an existing datastore in the datacenter that has the same URL (ds:///vmfs/volumes/xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/) but is backed by different physical storage.
- The ESX/ESXi hosts that are affected show as disconnected in vCenter Server.
- There is no mismatch on the ESX/ESXi hosts at the storage level (all naa.xxxxxxxxxx and vml.xxxxxxxxxx numbers match).
- There is no datastore label mismatch.
Note: To verify this, run the esxcfg-scsidevs -m command on each affected host.
- Verify the cause of the issue, run:
Run this command to identify the naa from the LUN that has the issue:
esxcfg-scsidevs -l | grep naa
Compare the vml output from a good host and host that fails to connect. If you see a different vml number, it indicates a problem with the storage. If not continue to the next step.
Remove all the disconnected ESXi hosts from vCenter Server.
- Add the ESXi hosts back to vCenter Server, one at a time.
- Reconfigure the VDS for each host or import each host in VDS, as required, with appropriate uplink(s) and other configuration.