Downgrading from Fusion 5.x to Fusion 4.x (2036104)
To downgrade from Fusion 5.x to Fusion 4.x:
- Fusion 5.x uses a different hardware version than Fusion 4.x. Ensure to change the hardware version of your virtual machine to version 8.
To downgrade your virtual hardware:
- Shut down the virtual machine. If the virtual machine is in a suspended state, resume it and then shut it down.
- Right-click the virtual machine and click Settings.
- Click Compatibility.
- Select Compatible with VMware Fusion 4 or higher. For more information, see Virtual machine hardware versions for Fusion (1022060).
- Click Close.
- Manually uninstall Fusion 5.x completely and ensure to remove the additional files and folders, if any. For more information, see Manually uninstalling VMware Fusion (1017838).
- Download and install the most recent Fusion 4 version available from the VMware Download Center. For more information, see Downloading and installing VMware Fusion (2014097).
- Start the virtual machine.
- Uninstall VMware Tools and then reinstall VMware Tools for Fusion 4.x. For more information, see Uninstalling and manually installing VMware Tools in VMware Fusion (1014522).
If your Fusion 5 trial period is over and you are unable to change the compatibility level from within Fusion, contact VMware for a temporary key to extend your trial period, so that you can downgrade your virtual machine. You can contact VMware Support at 1-877-4-VMWARE.