The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Administrator role in My VMware (2035526)
This article provides information about the Administrator role in My VMware.
Note: For steps to assign or remove the Administrator role, see Assigning and removing the Administrator role in My VMware (2037543).
About the Administrator role
My VMware has a new role called Administrator.
This change empowers a folder user with all of the permissions of a Super User and Procurement Contact for a particular folder. A user can be assigned role/permissions that prevent then from relying on the Super User and Procurement Contact to perform certain actions. In effect, these users become the Super User or Procurement Contact for that folder.
Here is a summary of the role:
- Administrators are assumed to be the primary owner/contact point for folder level issues/communications.
- Administrators, by default, are granted almost all permissions for their folder except for the View Orders and Support Contract permission, which must be granted separately. If the Administrator has been granted the View Orders & Contracts permission, they can view orders and contracts associated to the licenses in their folders. This permission also allows Administrators to initiate quote requests for those orders.
- Administrators can create/remove other Administrators for their folders.
- Administrators can view Support Requests that have been associated to their folder.
- Administrators can respond to license deactivation alerts for the licenses in their folders.
- Administrators can request renewal quotes.
- Administrators can request that their folder be merged into another account or separated into a new account.
Administrator privileges and limitations
By default, the Administrator role contains these permissions:
- Manage Roles
- View Support Requests
- View License Keys & User Permissions
- Manager Folders & User Permissions
- Divide & Combine License Keys
- Upgrade & Downgrade License Keys
- File Technical Support Requests
- Download Products
Although the Administrator role is intended to give a folder user permissions equivalent to the Super User and Procurement Contact for their folder, there are a few limitations:
- The View Orders and Support Contracts permission is not assigned to the Administrator by default. This permission must be granted separately.
- Administrators can request that their folder be merged into another account or separated into a new account, but before acting on these requests, VMware will verify the request with the decision makers of the account. The Super User typically makes this decision or engages the necessary resources.
- Administrators cannot perform their permissions on any other folder (unless they have been assigned that role for another folder).
- Administrators cannot block the Super User, Procurement Contact, or a Home folder user from accessing or modifying their folder
- Administrators cannot make changes to any user permissions at the Home folder level.
- Administrator cannot create additional 1st level folders. They can only create sub-folders within their folder.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.