The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Upgrading the View Connection Server fails and the installation rolls back (2034720)
- Cannot upgrade the View Connection Server
- Upgrading the View Connection Server fails
- When upgrading a View Connection Server, the upgrade fails at the LDAP schema stage
- In the c:\temp\instlogs\vminst.log file, you see entries similar to:
serverInstUtil: 08/18/12 15:21:34 Begin Logging
serverInstUtil: 08/18/12 15:21:34 --- VMCeipCheck()
serverInstUtil: 08/18/12 15:21:34 Getting property ADAM_PRIMARY_NAME =
serverInstUtil: 08/18/12 15:21:34 Getting property ADAM_PRIMARY_PORT = 389
serverInstUtil: 08/18/12 15:21:34 Attempting LDAP connection to 127.0.0.1:389
serverInstUtil: 08/18/12 15:21:34 Could not get value for CEIP enabled flag.
serverInstUtil: 08/18/12 15:21:34 End Logging
serverInstUtil: 08/18/12 15:21:42 Begin Logging
serverInstUtil: 08/18/12 15:21:42 --- VMValidateDataRecoveryPassword()
serverInstUtil: 08/18/12 15:21:42 Setting property VDM_SERVER_RECOVERY_PWD_OK = 1
serverInstUtil: 08/18/12 15:21:42 End Logging
BootStrapper-build-704644: 08/18/12 15:23:56 InstallProduct() returned: 1603
- VMValidateDataRecoveryPassword is the last successful action
To resolve this issue, reinstall Standalone connection server and restore the ADAM database from the backup to this standalone Connection Server:
- Perform a backup of the ADAM, View Composer, and vCenter Server databases. For more information, see Performing an end-to-end backup and restore for View Manager (1008046).
- Export the ADAM database from the Connection Server where the upgrade failed.
To do this, open a command prompt and run this command:
C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\tools\bin\vdmexport > vdmconfig.ldf
- Install a standalone Connection Server. During the installation, select the Standard installation option.
- Restore the ADAM database from the backup to this standalone Connection Server. For more information, see the Restore section of Performing an end-to-end backup and restore for View Manager (1008046).
- Confirm that you can log in to this new standalone Connection Server and verify that the ADAM database was imported correctly by reviewing the existing pools in the View Administrator console.
- After ensuring that the import is successful, remove the Connection Server software and the ADAM database from the Connection Server machine where the upgrade originally failed.
To do this:
- Navigate to Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a program.
- Uninstall the VMware View Connection Server software.
- Uninstall the AD LDS Instance VMwareVDMDS software.
- In the same machine where the upgrade failed, install a Connection Server as a replica of the standalone Connection Server. During the installation, select the Replica installation option.
- Verify and confirm the new Connection Servers are functioning properly. For example, create a new pool on one Connection Server and check if it replicates and appears on the other.
- Repeat Steps 6 to 8 for each Connection Server that you may have.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.