The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Converter Standalone 5.0 might close unexpectedly when accessing vSphere 5.1 targets (2033315)
When you attempt to run Converter Standalone 5.0 tasks against target vCenter Server 5.1 instances or ESXi 5.1 hosts:
- You see the message:
Converter Standalone Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Note: In some instances, you may not see this error.
When you click Send Error Report or Don't Send, the application closes.
- This entry is added to converter-gui-*.log:
Panic: Win32 exception: Access Violation (0xc0000005)
Note: The converter-gui-*.log file is located in %APPDATA%\Local\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client on your machine.
If you cannot upgrade to vCenter Converter Standalone 5.0.1, follow these steps to workaround this issue and run Converter Standalone 5.0 tasks against vSphere 5.1 environments:
- Verify that you have access to a standalone ESXi 5.0 host.
- Perform your Converter Standalone 5.0 tasks against the target ESXi 5.0 host.
- Add the ESXi 5.0 host to a vCenter Server 5.1 instance.
- To change the ESXi environment, perform one of these options:
- Upgrade the ESXi 5.0 host to version 5.1.
- Run the vSphere 5.1 Web Client to migrate your virtual machines from the ESXi 5.0 host to an ESXi 5.1 host.
- (Optional) To upgrade the hardware version of your virtual machine to version 9, use the vSphere 5.1 Web Client.
Note: You can use Converter Standalone version 4.3 as long as you select Hardware Version 4, 7 or 8 as the version type when the target is ESXi 5.1 and later on manually upgrade the hardware version using the Web Client.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.