The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Registering a virtual machine with the vSphere Web Client (2032904)
Note: For more information, see the vSphere Virtual Machine Administration Guide. This guide contains definitive information. If there is a discrepancy between the guide and the article, assume the guide is correct.
If you removed a virtual machine from vCenter Server, but did not remove it from the datastore of the managed host, you can return it to the vCenter Server inventory by registering it with vCenter Server.
For more information on adding and removing virtual machines from the vCenter Server inventory, see the Managing Virtual Machines section of the vSphere Virtual Machine Administration Guide.
Registering a virtual machine using the vSphere Web Client
To register a virtual machine using the vSphere Web Client:
- Log in to vCenter Server using the vSphere Web Client. To do this, use one of these options:
- In a browser, go to https://vSphere_Web_Client_host_name_or_IP:9443/vsphere-client.
- From the Windows Start menu, select Programs > VMWare > VMware vSphere Web Client > vSphere Web Client.
- In the vSphere Web Client inventory, right-click the datastore on which the virtual machine configuration file is stored and click All vCenter Actions > Register VM.
- Browse to and select the virtual machine configuration ( .vmx) file and click OK.
- Use the existing virtual machine name or type a new name and then select a datacenter or folder location for the virtual machine.
- Click Next.
- Select a host or cluster on which to run the new virtual machine.
The available options are:
Option Action Run the virtual machine on a standalone host Select the host and click Next. Run the virtual machine in a cluster with DRS automatic placement Select the cluster and click Next. Run the virtual machine in a cluster without DRS automatic placement
- Select the cluster and click Next.
- Select a host within the cluster and click Next.
- Select a resource pool in which you want to run the virtual machine and click Next.
- Review your selections and click Finish.
The virtual machine is now added to the vCenter Server inventory.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.