The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Collecting diagnostic information for ESX/ESXi hosts and vCenter Server using the vSphere Web Client (2032892)
Note: For more information, see the vSphere Monitoring and Performance Guide. This guide contains definitive information. If there is a discrepancy between the guide and the article, assume the guide is correct.
To collect ESX/ESXi and vCenter Server diagnostic data:
- Start the vSphere Web Client and log in to the vCenter Server system.
- Under Inventory Lists, select vCenter Servers.
- Click the vCenter Server that contains the ESX/ESXi hosts from which you want to export logs.
- Click the Monitor tab and click System Logs.
- Click Export System Logs.
- Select the ESX/ESXi hosts from which you want to export logs.
- Select the Include vCenter Server and vSphere Web Client logs option. This step is optional.
- Click Next.
- Select the system logs that are to be exported.
- Select Gather performance data to include performance data information in the log files.
Note: You can update the duration and interval time between which you want to collect the data.
- Click Next.
- Click Generate Log Bundle. The Download Log Bundles dialog appears when the Generating Diagnostic Bundle task completes.
- Click Download Log Bundle to save it to your local computer.
Note: The host or vCenter Server generates .zip bundles containing the log files. The Recent Tasks panel shows the Generate diagnostic bundles task in progress.
- After the download completes, click Finish or generate another log bundle.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.