The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Attempting to reconnect an ESXi host that appears as Disconnected in vCenter Server fails with the error: Timed waiting for vpxa to start (2031936)
- The ESXi host appears as disconnected in vCenter Server
- Attempting to reconnect the host fails
- You see the error:
A general system error occured: Timed waiting for vpxa to start
This issue occurs if one or more virtual machines on the host are running on a large number of snapshots. The maximum number of snapshots supported is 32. For more information, see Adding an ESXi 5.0 host to vCenter Server 5.0 fails with the error: A general system error occurred (2009217).
- This issue may also occur when adding an ESXi 5.1 host to vCenter Server 5.0. This is not supported. For more information, see the VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes.
- This issue may also occur if there is not enough free disk space on your ESX/ESXi host. For more information, see Investigating disk space on an ESX or ESXi host (1003564).
To resolve this issue:
- Remove the virtual machine from the vCenter Server Inventory.
- Restart the Management agents on host. For more information, see Restarting the Management agents on an ESX or ESXi host (1003490).
- Log in to the host directly using the vSphere Client.
- Right-click the virtual machine and click Remove from Inventory.
- Restart the Management agents on the host.
- Right-click the host in vCenter Server and click Reconnect.
Note: If the problem persists after trying the steps in this article, file a support request with VMware Support and note this Knowledge Base article ID (2031936) in the problem description. For more information, see How to Submit a Support Request.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.