The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Connecting to the remote machine using VMware vCenter Protect Essentials fails with the error: Error 452: Unable to connect to the remote machine (2031469)
- Cannot scan a remote machine in vCenter Protect
- Scanning a remote machine in vCenter Protect fails
- You see the error:
Error 452: Unable to connect to the remote machine
To resolve this issue:
- Reboot the vCenter Protect console machine.
- Verify if the Server and Remote Registry services are enabled on the remote machine and that you can remotely log in to this machine.
To test the remote registry connection:
- Click Start > Run, type regedit, and click OK. The Registry Editor window opens.
- Click File > Connect Network Registry.
- Ensure that the Workstation service is running on the machine performing the scan.
- Check if there is already a connection between the server and scanned device and that this connection is using a different set of credentials than the vCenter Protect patch server. In this case,the vCenter Protect patch server cannot establish the connection. If the target machine being scanned is already connected to the scanning server via a drive mapping, the scan fails
- Try scanning the target machine using both IP and Name.
- Test the admin share using this command:
net use \\machine_name\IPC$ /user:domain\ username password
Note: Provide the actual name of the machine you are trying to scan, along with the same credentials that you are attempting to scan with. You can substitute machine_name with domain if you are using local credentials.
- Check the Local Area Connection properties on the target machine to ensure that File and Printer sharing is enabled.
- Try lowering your thread count for simultaneous machines scanned in the scan template to see if this eliminates the error. To do this, navigate to Scan template > General tab.
For more information on scanning prerequisites, in the vCenter Protect console, navigate to Help > Contents > Agentless Patch Management Tasks > Performing Patch Scans > Scanning Prerequisites.
Additionally, Microsoft provides a patch to resolve this issue in a specific scenario. To verify if this is applicable, open a command prompt and run these commands:
sc.exe \\Target_Computer_Name query
sc.exe \\Target_IP_Address query
If sc.exe using Target_Computer_Name works, but sc.exe using Target_IP_Ad does not work, you must apply these patches:
In the console machine:
- For Windows Server 2008, 2008 R2 and 7, apply either SP1 or the patch described in the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 2194664.
- For Windows Server 2003 and 2003 R2, apply the patches described in the Microsoft Knowledge Base articles 975467 and 968389.
In the target machine:
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.