The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Updating vCenter Server Appliance 5.x (2031331)
Note: The scope of this article covers the VMware vCenter Server Appliance. It does not cover other vSphere Components, plug-ins or add-ons. When updating or upgrading a VMware product, see the specific documentation relating to any third-party or VMware plug-ins and add-ons.
- The update process can take approximately 90 to 120 minutes. Do not reboot until the update is complete.
- Before starting the update process, as a best practice VMware recommends that you back up or take a snapshot of the VMware vCenter Server Appliance virtual machine to facilitate recovery should the need arise.
- Ensure all users and administrators are notified that all vCenter Server services are unavailable during the update process.
- To monitor the progress of the update, see the
To update the VMware vCenter Server Appliance:
- Launch a web browser and go to
- Log in to the VMware vCenter Server Appliance web interface using your login credentials.
- Click the Update tab.
- Click Check update.
Note: After the update is complete, the VCSA 5.x Update is displayed in the list.
- Click Install Updates.
- Read and agree to the End User License Agreement (EULA).
- During the update, the message
VMware vCenter Server Appliance - 5.x Build xxxxxx Please wait...is displayed.
- After the update completes, reboot the VMware vCenter Server Appliance using the web interface.
- VMware vCenter Server 5.1 Update 1 Release Notes
- Update sequence for vSphere 5.1 Update 1 and its compatible VMware products (2037630)
- VMware vCenter Virtual Appliance 5.0 Update 1b Release Notes
- VMware vCenter Server Appliance 5.0 Update 1a and Update 1b (VCSA) Known Issues (2017801)
For details on the three supported methods to upgrade the vCenter Server Appliance, see the Upgrade the VMware vCenter Server Appliance section of the vSphere Upgrade documentation. The supported methods to upgrade the vCenter Server Appliance are:
- Updating the VMware vCenter Server Appliance from a zipped update bundle
- VMware vCenter Server Appliance 5.0 Update 1a and Update 1b (VCSA) Known Issues
- Update sequence for vSphere 5.1 Update 1 and its compatible VMware products
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.